Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for health

Default Question for health

how do i tell if my baby tegu is healthy or not?

Hi neighbor . You can tell by looking at his eyes. If they are clear/bright and alert. If he flicks his tounge alot. Moves around alot. Doesn't have a problem going to the bathroom. The poop shouldn't be very runy and sour smelling ( if it does he could have a parasite problem ). But the poop also can smell very bad if he had something smelly to eat the day before like fish. The urates should look normal ( info in the link below ). If the Tegu has a hard time pooping out the urates and they are very hard then he is dehydrated. The vent should look normal and clean ( not swollen ). If he eats well ( unless he is shedding, going into hibernation or had a big meal the day before ). If he is shedding well. The mouth looks normal ( doesn't have mouthrot or a bad smell ). The base of the tail is nice and fat to where you can't see the hip bones alot. Do you have some photos or a video of your Tegu ?.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

he is very active always trying to find a way out of the cage because im trying to tame him for when he gets bigger so i take him out for about 20mniutes a day

Awww. He is so cute . He reminds me so much of our Leonidas when we first got him. To bad they grow up so fast :( . But on the other hand it's a good thing because they are easier to cuddle with when they are big . I hope you have the screen top clamped down. It is very easy for them to get out if there aren't any clamps on there. Thank you for posting the photos.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

The aquarium is 18 in tall haha. He always jumps trying to get out but he doesnt even get half way. so today i convinced my mom into buying some mealworms and the he went crazy when he saw them. i fed him turkey this morning too! my tegu seems to be eating awfully a lot. is that okay?

also he keeps getting the cyprus mulch in his mouth when he goes wondering around. im getting kinda scared that he will injest some. is that also okay? sorry for asking so much questions

First I would like to say " PLEASE ask as many questions as you like " . This is why we are here for. The more you ask, the more you will learn. We all have been there. Second " Please tell your mom that I'm very proud of her for getting the worms ". Do you feed him inside the enclosure ? If you do I wouldn't recommend this. There is a chance that he can get impacted. If you don't feed him inside the enclosure what you could do is put him in the bathtub ( please make sure the tub doesn't have any chemicals in it like soap residue ). Put some luke warm/warm water in the tub. Just enough water to where his feet or half of his legs are covered. This will help with any stuck on food on his feet to come of, if he walked into the food. If he has some food stuck on his feet and he walks around in his enclosure the food will get onto the mulch. Then when he is hungry he will smell the food on the mulch and wants to eat the mulch.

Our videos :

i feed him outside the enclosure on a small plastic bin. what i mean is he just goes digging and i see that some mulch ends up on his face area. also is there a easier way to keep the humidity up in a cage? i mist it like every 30minutes just to make it not go below 60%. by the way i live in texas

I know. That's why I sad " Hi neighbor " in my first reply. Because I live in Texas also ( San Antonio ). To be honest with you, I think that having the entire mulch nice and moist ( but not to wet ) is good enough. When your Tegu digs into the mulch to go to sleep for hours he will get enough humidity from that. Mine haven't had a shedding problem. For except when they were hibernationg and I couldn't wake them up to mist down the mulch for months. Alot of breeders have their Tegus in some outside enclosures. I'm sure they don't mist the encosure. But if you like you can put a damp towel on the screen top. But don't get it to close to the basking light. Or you can duct tape some alluminum foil to the screen top to keep more of the humidity inside the enclosure. When the mulch is moist it's normal for it to stick to things like his face, your hands, his water dish. But I would keep a very good eye on him when he puts it in his mouth and try to eat it. It he tries to eat it there might be something missing in his diet. Or he is still hungry.

Our videos :