Thread: Black throat monitor help!

Exclamation Black throat monitor help!

So Ive had my black throat monitor, Thor, for about a year now. The guy I got him from, didn't take good care of him, and I got him back to health. He's very heathly now, but the man who came me the information on his care, lied about well, a lot. I'm working on building him a custom cage, and giving him the best I can. I feel awful, because I only want the best for all of my animals and I am highly upset I was lied to like that. Any information I can get about the care and absolutely anything you can give me about my boy would be great!! He's in good care now, hes fat and heathy and happy, but I would like to know feeding, heating, and anything else! It would be very appreciated (:

There are a few excellent care sheets you should read first. Pro Exotics has the best which covers everything from A - Z. You will get much more comprehensive advice about care there than can be posted here....in my opinion

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

I've been looking at care sheets, YouTube, pro exotics, and everything as well. I'm just trying to get as much information as possible. And I was thinking that I could get more personal opinions from people who have their own monitors as well. Just to see how they do things and what not. But thanks for the advice.

Ok since you have read the care sheets, will offer some thoughts.
    Every monitor is different and will have different likes, dislikes and tolerances. My boy doesn't ever use is really hot basking spot. He likes the area that is around 105-111f. Tanzania's climate while different than our does have a rainy season during which ambient temps are never about the high 70's. Of course their hot season is brutal. The point here is to provide a fairly large temperature gradient. In my opinion, that is the reason for having an 8' or larger cage.
    I have tried different substrates and clean dirt is perhaps the best I have found so far. I have also used aspen, (animal bedding shred size) successfully.
    My guy also likes his water. I provide a container about the depth of a cat litter box but longer filled to 2" or a little more with water.
    Feeding is a hot topic and if you visit Varanus.net and other sites, they will insist that you feed 100% FT prey. I think providing a little more variety is good.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

Thank you for your thoughts(: I keep his basking area pretty high and he seems to like it. I also use sand mixed with Eco earth and he likes to dig around in that. So I'm slowly gaining knowledge haha I was so upset that the pet store owner lied to me about so much. But anyways, thank you haha (: