Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I rescue him?

Default Should I rescue him?

I was on Cragislist and saw this HORRIBLY ABUSED BEARDED DRAGON. FULL GROWN LIVING IN A 10 GALLON! 2 years old. Thinking about saving him. Advice? Is it worth it? Here is the link

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pet/3200632918.html

Bearded Dragon

Makes me vomit. Is it worth it? Or he will just die anyway? I CANNOT BELIEVE THESE PEOPLE! MAKES ME SOOO MAD!
    Last edited by Ripkabird98; 08-12-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: It didn't post the link.

If you are set up for him I would. He does not look too bad. He is not underweight, I don't see signs of mbd, but does not mean he doesn't have it. With no lid, not sure how they are getting him uvb....might be using the calcium w/d3. I have a rescue that was not taken care of at all. She had no heat, no uvb, on calci-sand, fed crickets (not many), pieces of raw potato, banana, and orange peels. She was severely dehydrated. It was a miracle she did not have an advanced case of mbd. There is evidence that she did have it at one time, but it was 2 months after I got her that she went to the vet; so it is possible that I already had it cleared up. The problem I have now, is a respiratory infection that will not clear completely. She has been on 3 major antibiotics, and they have not kicked it. I am still unsure she will make it. But, I know that for the last 6 months, she has had heat, an AMPLE supply of roaches and greens, and she knows what it's like to be loved on - not just a toy for drunk 20 year olds.... He told me "He's kind of cool when you're drunk" I am so very glad I rescued her, at least if whatever this is kills her - she will die loved. So, the choice is yours. If you are not set up to take it in, maybe you know someone else who is. I will post some pictures of Saryn for you to see how she was.

5 weeks later
    Last edited by kaylorin; 08-13-2012 at 07:40 AM. Reason: added pictures

I have had the same issues with cruising craigslist. I have seen countless ads for animals that seem to brag about their set up but it's grossly inadequate. unfortunately there seems to always be something that needs to be rescued, but I would agree with Kaylorin, if this ones seems to pull a little more ont he heart strings and you are able and willing to take it in, then perhaps the risk is worth it? Good luck!!
    Bearded Dragon (2001) Valcore
    Box Turtle (found 2006) Panzer
    Albino Cornsnake (2011) Dante
    White's Tree Frog (2012) Cake
    Tiger Legged Monkey Frog (2012) Unnamed
    Columbian Tegu (2012) Achilles
    Ball Python (2012) Poe

Basset Hounds Snickers (2000-2011 RIP), Leonidas (2009), Murphy (2010), Theodora (2011).

I ended up getting him the night I posted this. More info and pics tomorrow! MY GOD IS HE SSSSOOOO SWEEET! REALLY abused though D:

Congrats on your new Bearded Dragon. Not much longer you get to enjoy your new red Tegu hatchling, too . It was very nice talking with you today.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

First post here. Almost the same situation happened to me this last weekend.

I have been watching the local Craigslist for larger enclosures/aquariums that I can use for the expanding lizard collection and saw a post for a large complete setup including 2 Bearded dragons for a small fee. Given the tank size, and all of the associated items that one needs for this type of setup I figured I should head right over to take a look as it sounded too good to be true.

I get there to find that there are two tiny Beardy babies in a monster aquarium filled with sand and branches. No UV light whatsoever and heat being provided by a floor standing pole light snapped in half and the top redirected to the tank. Nothing about the setup was worth acquiring for me, but as I looked at the cute babies huddling on the highest branch I couldn't help but wonder how much time they had left. Having gone to a reptile Expo the day before and watched so many tupperware containers head out into the 90 degree heat with the same thought in my mind I decided I had to help these two out.

I took Monday off work to clean up an old 20 gallon tank to use as a starter enclosure, cut tile for flooring, added appropriate heat, UV and other essentials and suddenly these 2 beardies are eating and bouncing around. Oh well....I think I need to stay off of Craigslist I am too much of a sucker!

Hi Odonata. Welcome to our Tegu froum family and congrats on your two new Bearded Dragon babies. That was so nice of you to take them in. Yes, Craigslist can be a dangerouse place.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Thank you so much for saving him! If I were you, I would've chewed the people out for at least an hour, and then I would've reported them.
    1.0.0. English Budgie (Peanut)
    1.0.0. Red-Eared Slider (Rocky)
    1.0.0. Bearded Dragon (Gomek)
    www.youtube.com/SnakeEyes223

Congrats on your new companion!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I need to post the Video I took for you guys. Still trying to figure out HOW.... confuses me to death. I took a nap today right? And as I crawled into my bed my Beardie was falling asleep in his new lamp while looking longingly at me. What did i do? Picked him up, but him in bed next to me, and put the covers on us. I felt him edge closer and put his head under my chin. My mother had to drag us BOTH out of bed. It's SO awesome to sleep with a beardie right next to you. He's just SO tame. He already has learned that if you try to crawl up the glass while im in the room you get out for a LONG time with us. He has free roamed the couch and living room already (supervised, of course,) He passed the doggy test because when My Shar-pei when to sniff him he didn't even move. Not scared, he just didn't care. The guy said he liked his big dogs(guys he was right to some degree). The dog, June, lost interest because of the lack of reaction. Doesn't care about him anymore. I still watch them of course, but at least now I'm not a jump paranoid Beardie father. LOL. He loves head scratches and will fall asleep right in your arms, and he has grasped to some degree (I'm working with him on it) the following "tricks".

Come on command.

Fetch (im not joking)

"Bring it here" ( i point at something and ask him to bring it here and he drags it over to me with his mouth).

And Tug-O-War

I know they aren't dogs, but if anything it's some mental stimulation for him.
    Last edited by Ripkabird98; 08-17-2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: had more to say! hah