Thread: Can red tegus get tame?!

Default Can red tegus get tame?!

As I had a questions for Bobby Hill, he told me that Red's don't get ANYWHERE neaer as tame as any others. He suggested an Extreme as the most tame. Just wondering what youall think. I'm torn because I LOVE the look of the Reds, but don't want a skittish Tegu like he said they would be. Has anyone ever thought they are less tame? Are Extremes the most tame?

I had a red tegu named Rexie that went to libraries with me for summer reading programs. I saw a huge red male tegu riding around on someone's shoulder at a reptile show that was awesome! It all depends on how much time you put into working with them.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Like Laura sad ( and I sad the same thing ). It all depends on how much time you will spend with him. Leonidas is not a extreme giant and he is very tame. Alot of people say that the Columbians don't get as tame as the Argentine Tegus. But some members here on the forum have a Columbian Tegu who is very tame. They just handled him/her right. In the first two photos is Bryan ( my boyfriend ) with a full grown male Argentine Tegu at a Expo and the third photo is me. He was very tame ( we almost got him, but didn't had any room for him ). It also can happen that if you don't spend alot of time with the extreme giant Tegu that he doesn't turn out as tame as you thought he would be. It's all up to you .

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

My decision has to be made soon, so if anyone can pitch in then that would be great. I'm thinking that a red will be about the same. But is an Extreme tamer? If you have an opinion I could use it soon. Thanks!

Beware of marketing ploys. No one can guarantee how one animal will turn out versus another, be it a red or an Extreme. It all depends on how much time and love you give your pet.

If you want to you can check out the videos of one of our member's red female Tegu. I don't think he would respond to this thread because he hasn't been on here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gebris353/videos
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

I am just going to stick with the red. That's what my gut says.....

PS do they SEEK OUT HUMAN attention like the others or not really?
    Last edited by Ripkabird98; 08-18-2012 at 09:42 PM.

That I don't know if all or alot of them do. But I'm sure we will find out from you if he will or not down the road . Juancho in the video ( in the link in my last post ) did.

Our videos :