Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MacGyver the baby Red Tegu

Hybrid View

Cool MacGyver the baby Red Tegu

MacGyver is our new baby (not so much anymore!) Argentine Red Tegu. We got him at 3 weeks old and was tiny, but has has been eating 10+ pinkies a day and is 14 inches now at only 7 weeks old. He is super tame & has been exclusively free roaming for a few days now. He's been sleeping on the couch & woke me up on Saturday by licking my face while I was sleeping.

This is Mac today, returning to his basking spot after exploring for a while.

And one more for now. This is one of his favorite things to do... go into the bathroom and move the drain cover all around. This vid was from a few days ago, but hes actually doing it again right now while I'm posting this.

so cute =)

This one is a little different... but I have a feeling everyone will enjoy it =)

MacGyver's YouTube channel @ http://www.youtube.com/user/todeyius

That...

IS GENUIS!

Default Re: MacGyver the baby Red Tegu

I want my Tegu tame Like that lol 10 pinkies sounds like alot

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Lol. He is so cute and very funny . He is perfect in any way . How did you get him to be so tame ? What else do you feed him ( if you don't mind me asking ) ? Do you sprinkle some calcium powder on the pinkies ? If not I would recommend doing it. Since their bones haven't developed yet your Tegu will not get any natural calcium from the pinies bones. I don't know if you hearded of rodentpro.com before. I have been ordering feeders from them for years now and I'm very happy with them ( I have a video of the shippment on my youtube channe ). I didn't see a door on his enclosure. Your not worried that he will jump out one day and you can't find him ? I'm sorry about all the questions.

http://www.rodentpro.com/products.asp
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    Lol. He is so cute and very funny . He is perfect in any way . How did you get him to be so tame ? What else do you feed him ( if you don't mind me asking ) ? Do you sprinkle some calcium powder on the pinkies ? If not I would recommend doing it. Since their bones haven't developed yet your Tegu will not get any natural calcium from the pinies bones. I don't know if you hearded of rodentpro.com before. I have been ordering feeders from them for years now and I'm very happy with them ( I have a video of the shippment on my youtube channe ). I didn't see a door on his enclosure. Your not worried that he will jump out one day and you can't find him ? I'm sorry about all the questions.
    I have a freezer full of rodentpro.com goodies =)

He loves pinkies, and rat pinkies. He's taken a few fuzzies also but still prefers pinky mice/rats. He likes to continuously eat all day. A big meal in the morning, and then a pinky every couple hours, and sometimes another big meal in the evening. I usually put repticalcium w/out d3 on his first morning meal when he is most hungry. He also gets a little fruit every few days, like a cut up grape or cherry. He seems to like cherries more. He also likes salmon, but I have only given that to him a couple times. I have a bunch of ground whole animals from hare-today.com also, like rabbit, pheasant, & quail in the freezer that I'm planning on giving him soon.

He was very skiddish on day 1, but he tamed up very quickly. I didn't handle him for the first 2 days, but I would spend a lot of time right next to his enclosure so he quickly got used to me being around. He started climbing up those plants trying to escape on day 3, so I started offering my arm as an extension for him to climb up. He learned quickly that the easiest way to get out was just to attract my attention. After he climbs up my arm, he will usually sit on my shoulder for about 30 seconds, and then either climb over my head once or just start trying to climb down me and get to the floor immediately. I set him down to free roam as soon as he does this so that he always sees me as the thing that helps him do whatever he wants. I made the whole house tegu-safe before I got him, so I never need to quickly catch him.

This video was shot on day 3. The first few times he would stay on the tree for like 15 seconds before finally deciding to keep going up onto my arm, but now he jumps up onto any hand as soon as he sees it.

My original plan was to just use that enclosure until he was big enough to escape, and then let him free roam entirely. At 14 inches now he still isn't big enough to escape from that, but I've only had him inside the enclosure for about an hour a day since friday because he has been so good at free roaming. I'm only putting him in the enclosure now if somebody other than my wife or I is in the house because I'm worried they will step on him. I have setup a free roaming basking spot by the balcony door, and he already knows thats his new spot. He spends most his time there basking, but takes lots of breaks to run around the apartment and do things like play with the bathroom drain cover and climb up our feet when we are sitting on the couch. I just heard the screeching sound of the drain cover being dragged over the tile, so I know hes in the bathroom playing right now again while I post. If I put him back inside the enclosure he will bask for about 20 minutes, and then start climbing trees and scratching at the walls until I come over and let him out again. He is super active and loves being out to explore. During the day we pretty much leave him alone until he comes to us out of curiosity. At night though we set him on the couch with us and pet him until he falls asleep.

My god! In a few weeks I am getting a Red from Bobby Hill. SO PSYCHED! Anyways, he is such a sweetie! Wish mine could free roam the house as a baby D: I have to wait until he is full grown...