Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: MacGyver the baby Red Tegu

here is a pic from todayweasley.jpg if you look you can see how much his tail has grown in 3 weeks give or take, that is crazy to me and why i think his growth may have been interrupted, I have read that tail regrowth can tax them and stop/inhibit bodily growth so ... I honestly like his short stumpy tail lol ps in this picture he is trying to let me know he is a big bad wild lizard and he will get me ... then i reach in and he smells me and then he is like meh... I want him to be more friendly but I am unsure at his age and size how to go about it. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I want a gu that like mac cause he is pretty osm!
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins

I have to say that I have become addicted to watching your videos, I have started allowing weasley to free roam all the time except at night and have set up and nice basking bed for him in my bedroom. He isn't allowed in the entire house but we have the master bedroom which is HUGE and has a bathroom attached so he has a lot of space to roam. I fed him some egg today out of my hand (this was the first time i attempted it) and i have just sat in the floor on the laptop and allowed him to just hang out and bask or whatever he wants to do... he has come and seen me a few times i pet him and he goes on his merry way... i hope we are on the right track to being this tame... do you think it is ever too late? He is about 2 years old like i said before and he isn't this sweet but he tolerates me quite well I wanna get it from being tolerated to being purposefully affectionate. Suggestions?
    Gnat

Default Re: MacGyver the baby Red Tegu

Quote Originally Posted by Gnatilie View Post
    I have to say that I have become addicted to watching your videos, I have started allowing weasley to free roam all the time except at night and have set up and nice basking bed for him in my bedroom. He isn't allowed in the entire house but we have the master bedroom which is HUGE and has a bathroom attached so he has a lot of space to roam. I fed him some egg today out of my hand (this was the first time i attempted it) and i have just sat in the floor on the laptop and allowed him to just hang out and bask or whatever he wants to do... he has come and seen me a few times i pet him and he goes on his merry way... i hope we are on the right track to being this tame... do you think it is ever too late? He is about 2 years old like i said before and he isn't this sweet but he tolerates me quite well I wanna get it from being tolerated to being purposefully affectionate. Suggestions?
    Same here

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by Gnatilie View Post
    That sounds like a good plan. I don't think its ever too late, & I've heard of many people who got adult tegus to tame down very well. I'd say keep letting him walk around the bedroom & spend as much time in there as possible, mostly ignoring him until he comes to you. You can go pet him for a few seconds while he is basking if he lets you, but generally let him do his own thing when he is warm. At night when he's more lazy is when I would try spending more time petting him.. like let him lay next to your leg for warmth, set your arm on him, and pet his head for a while while you watch tv or something.

Im not sure whats really normal with respect to size unfortunately. 2 questions though, whats his basking temp & how much does he eat? Also, are you sure he male? If hes a she then shes gonna be about a foot shorter than males when full sized I believe.
    MacGyver's YouTube channel @ http://www.youtube.com/user/todeyius

Not necessarily. I have a female is that not much shorter than many males.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Godzilla mother is bigger than his father but she is a extreme and he is a normal

from Samsung Galaxy S3

one more =)

Quote Originally Posted by todeyius View Post
    That sounds like a good plan. I don't think its ever too late, & I've heard of many people who got adult tegus to tame down very well. I'd say keep letting him walk around the bedroom & spend as much time in there as possible, mostly ignoring him until he comes to you. You can go pet him for a few seconds while he is basking if he lets you, but generally let him do his own thing when he is warm. At night when he's more lazy is when I would try spending more time petting him.. like let him lay next to your leg for warmth, set your arm on him, and pet his head for a while while you watch tv or something.

Im not sure whats really normal with respect to size unfortunately. 2 questions though, whats his basking temp & how much does he eat? Also, are you sure he male? If hes a she then shes gonna be about a foot shorter than males when full sized I believe.
    basking temp is about 100 fluctuates with the temp of the bedroom obviously but stays between 95 and 101ish,he eats daily a varied diet but currently he is regrowing his tail as he dropped about half of it in october but it is coming back nicely and he just shed so I know we at least are growing a little! He is def a he I got him from people who wouldn't mistake a he for a she at his age as well as you can feel his bb's I am thinking he may not be as old as I was told. That is all I can think or maybe he is just going to be small. Idk he is my buddy though! I will try those things you suggested I sit in the floor a lot and let him check me out or just lay in his bed and bask and i am like a foot away... so we will see!
    Gnat

We finally had a warm day and I was able to let Mac outside again for some fresh air and real sun. He really loves it =)

He is lloking great how big is he now

from Samsung Galaxy S3