Thread: Indoor Tegu Pond Filter System

Question Indoor Tegu Pond Filter System

I would like to make a heated/filtered indoor pond for MacGyver & potty train him to go in there.

I'm just starting the process so I don't know if its even possible yet: I have a 3x5 ft area to work with, and I don't want it too high (no 3ft high filter under it or anything) so that Mac can easily get in and out at something around floor level (he is completely free-roaming now.)

The main question I have is if its even possible to filter such a small area to a degree that its safe for him to bath & poop in daily, and probably also drink from.

If so, I would much appreciate any recommendations on a filtering system.

A complex DIY filtering system or high end store bought system would both be fine. I just want whatever is best, if its possible, and need it all to fit in a 3x5ish area.

Thanks in advance fellow tegu freaks.

Edit: One more quick note. I will NOT be putting fish or anything else in the pond... so it only needs to be tegu-safe and does NOT need to be able to support fish/plants or anything else.
    MacGyver's YouTube channel @ http://www.youtube.com/user/todeyius

I have been planning the same thing fkr my future babys future cage. Becausd of tlns of saltwater and freshwater experience, I came up with a filter. Hard tl type with my PS Vita, but when I get to a computer i will go into detail.

Filtering the water will not remove harmful bacteria. The water must be boiled for at least 7 minutes or disinfected using chlorine or water purification tablets. Remember to filter the water first and then disinfect it. Cryptosporidium is a protozoan pathogen that is highly resistant to chlorine disinfection; it is found in snakes and lizards. A water filtration system that turns dirty water into potable water is a huge endeavour. Remember too that your tegu will carry bits of raw turkey and other meats into the water, mix that with his feces and you have yourself a real challenge to make potable. If I couldn't drink it, I wouldn't let him drink it either.
    Last edited by paulsreef; 10-06-2012 at 10:35 PM.

i agree just because it looks clean dont mean it is...i wanted to do this but not sure how i can get away with not cleaning the water every day anyways