Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to the thread and a new tegu owner.. LOADS of questions!!

Because you should be getting him out Alot. The person I am speaking about doesn't use that size cage, but doesn't see an issue if you get him out alot. Quite a fw members agree. You cannot mimic a tegux natural diet, so that is an invalid argument . If you are going to join a forum, then you have to understand your word isnt tegh husbandry gospel.

Tegus are also largely tail, so they dont 8 feet in length.

I think she is female

think i need more substrate?

Hey JohnyB! Welcome to the forum and thank you for providing pictures. I'm sorry this thread seemed to turn into a back and forth nitpick fight, hopefully the moderators can clean that up for you so we can get back to the task at hand

Personally I have two main concerns for your original post. A) Ate 2 years your tegu should be easily sexed as she should have grown quite a bit by then and B) do you know the exact dimensions on the base of the tank? Ideally she is going to need more space in the end, but it's hard to tell without measurements or photos of her within her enclosure. Looking at the photo you have posted of the tank, I'm pretty sure that's not a 100 gallon.

You never know exact preference when it comes to meat choices. Mine get a variety of turkey and chicken, and some of my tegus won't eat if I use a particular calcium powder. While care sheets are nice guidelines too many people forget that our pets are individual and they will each have their own likes. Tomatos are a nice treat, but can be a little bit higher in acid than you'd like. Also, suggestions are made to feed outside the enclosure to reduce substrate consumption. One of our members has been dealing with chicken bones stuck in her tegus digestive system and that's been a nightmare, much less dealing with a chunk of wood in there.

It'll take your tegu some time to adjust to her new home, so just be patient with her There are also plenty of friendly people here on the forums willing to help you, once again welcome to tegu ownership!
    0.1 B&W Tegu (Remington Steel)
    1.0 Extreme Giant Tegu (Smallz)
    1.0 Blue Tegu (Shakespeare)

0.1 Red Tegu (Izma)
    0.0.1 Caiman Lizard (Bubba)
    0.1 Black Throat Monitor (Tanin)
    1.1 Emerald Tree Boas (Buddy & Ezzy)
    0.1 Lavender Albino Reticulated Python (Leelu)
    1.0 Granite Burmese Python (Reaper)
    --
    Too Many. Ball Pythons
    Too Many. Jungle Carpet Pythons

http://reptile-parrots.com/forums/sh...3942#post43942

For those who care, this is an excellent read about a tegus natural habitat and diet.

I am getting really tired of your blatant disrespect. I cwught the not so subtle comment.

Sorry but I said I was done arguing with you, I have no time to talk to people who aren't willing to learn a thing or two, especially when I know from experience that feeding grund turkey daily can cause obesity. That field report just backs up what I said about their diet and that is something every tegu owner should read and understand. My intentions are to help the op provide a good life for his/her tegu. Your only intentions on this thread are to argue with me. I have no respect for someone who thinks they can speak on something they have absolutely no experience with. Please stop derailing this thread with unnesscary Comments.

My intentions on this thread are to provide the real info to try to undo what you have done, and to make sure the truth is said, unlike you. I know from your comments that I know more on Tegus then you. You have to respect I have been on this forum longer ajd dug through almost all the posts. Ever. I am more than willing to learn, but you have nothing to teach, and it is very hypocritical that you want me to learn from you, but think you are superior in tegu knowledge and wont even CONSIDER that I am right.

God... So it's bad to feed an animal food that it eats in the wild and it's wrong to provide a good enclosure with room to walk about?
    The only way to learn about somethung is going out and doing it yourself, not sitting on the Internet reading a small cliques opinion. Even joining other forums and talking to other kinds of people would broaden your knowledge extensively, not just going about how one group of people think.
    So what again do I need to consider that you are right about? Because I've already covered that I first hand know feeding ground turkey regularly is unhealthy and I have already covered the fact that if you care about your reptile you would provide it a comftorable sized enclosure not a cramped one. Because even free roaming animals only spend a few hours outside of their enclosure a day.