Thread: tegu with bad shed

Default tegu with bad shed

Hey it has been awhile since i have posted as things have been going super well with weasley. He has been growing like a little weed but I guess that is part of the issue. His tail... has a horribly stuck shed to the point where he has wounds on it. The tail does not appear necrotic as of yet. He gets plenty of vitamins (supplement), fruit, calcium, all different kinds of meats and he eats his fruits fairly readily since i have been mixing it with the meats. I soak him every other day in warmish water for anywhere from 20 minutes or an hour depending on his level of enjoyment. Substrate is aspen. He hastail a UVB light w/in 10 inches of his basking spot and his basking spot ranges from 100-110 warm end is in the 90s cool end the mid 70s during the day. Humidity is being regulated by increasing or decreasing a cool mist humidifier as well as a small cat pan under his heat light. So far I have soaked him daily and after soaking him I have slathered his tail in triple antibiotic ointment (no pain relief generic brand) as well as mineral oil. Today I soaked him in a dilute solution of peroxide (i have a friend who is a zoologist she recommended it.. i have done it with my snakes and had great success) for 30 minutes, then per the advice of another friend (tegu breeder) slathered the tail with triple antibiotic, vitamin e and then wrapped the tail in a cotton bandage (which is staying on quite nicely patting myself on the back) he is quite annoyed with the lack of tail mobility but is now acting lethargic which is not generally his nature (sure he sleeps a lot he is a tegu.. i get that but he never closes his eyes and goes to sleep mid meal or while i am messing around in his cage) He lapped at his dinner (mango, chicken liver, earthworms, avocado, apple and mango baby food, raw ground beef w/ a dash of egg and cod liver oil for good measure) Currently he is burying himself and attempting to get comfy... poor guy... i know he is miserable any further suggestions? I do not want to lose his tail and its looking a bit darker this afternoon. 150182_4434802708741_466770380_n.jpg218058_4434748787393_1810605899_n.jpg260040_4434782188228_1117769344_n.jpg421746_4434779428159_670113006_n.jpg
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins

Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

thanks i posted it 2 times cause i didn't think the first posted cause i didn't see it sry
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins