Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter slowdown?

Default Winter slowdown?

I am in northern nevada, and the temps are about 90 daytime and down to 35-40 at night. I keep the house about 75 at night...Ssra is coming out to bask for about 3 hours/day, and burrowing the rest of the time on the cool side of his tank. He eats about 3/4 of normal every 3 or 4 days....He isn't losing weight, and he has actually grown an inch. This has been going on for about 1.5 weeks now.

I am wondering if anyone else in this general latitude is seeing the same thing? Could he be trying to brumate already? It seems pretty early. I also have a beardie that almost acts like she might be trying to also - and the other beardie and my water dragon are both slowing down on their eating. I just would love to hear that yes, others are starting too =)

Default Re: Winter slowdown?

I'm in Virginia but my beardie and box turtle are both slowing down, I have to pull my tegu out to feed him anyway so I haven't noticed a difference yet.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
    Bearded Dragon (2001) Valcore
    Box Turtle (found 2006) Panzer
    Albino Cornsnake (2011) Dante
    White's Tree Frog (2012) Cake
    Tiger Legged Monkey Frog (2012) Unnamed
    Columbian Tegu (2012) Achilles
    Ball Python (2012) Poe

Basset Hounds Snickers (2000-2011 RIP), Leonidas (2009), Murphy (2010), Theodora (2011).

I'm in Texas and some of our Tegus ( we have five of them ) slowed down, too. Last year our two All American Tegus were already in hibernation by the beginning of September.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I'm in Central FL where the temps are warm (88/72) and my beardies and tegus are slowing down, too. I thought it was early as well. I have two beardies that are down already, one on her way. My earliest hibernating tegu is in that stage where she only eats rodents/chicks. Hibernation also is triggered by light cycles and barometric changes, so maybe other signals are at play that I haven't noticed.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Thank you so much. The vet said that he thinks it is going to be a weird winter, just from the animals that are coming in lately. I am very happy that mine are not the only ones. I came home for lunch early today, and Ssra was just digging to go back to sleep. I was so happy to be able to get him out, if even for only 10 minutes the last 2 days. I really miss him, lol. I tried feeding him again, and he still doesn't want to eat, and still maintaining his weight =)

Maybe tomorrow or Saturday I can get some pictures of him. He is 16" now and 104 grams.

I live just little north of you about 35 miles from Jackpot. Gordo dissapears for a couple of days and is up for a while and then is burrowed for a few more. My younger boy, Captain Jack, is slowing down but not to the extent that Gordo is.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

This is getting really old, I just want to dig him out...I haven't seen him for over a week =( He comes out and basks for an hour or two while I am at work - then he sleeps again.....can't wait for spring!

How do you know that he comes out to bask ? I know it's very hard to be patient. But the good thing is they don't grow when they hibernate and you will save on the food bill.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I'm in New Hampshire and A LOT of my customers are coming in with reports of their Bearded Dragons starting to brumate already..... weird winter. My female has slowed down, one male is down for the count and the other male doesn't move at all and eats the bare minimum. I think it's going to be a long one this year.
    0.1 B&W Tegu (Remington Steel)
    1.0 Extreme Giant Tegu (Smallz)
    1.0 Blue Tegu (Shakespeare)

0.1 Red Tegu (Izma)
    0.0.1 Caiman Lizard (Bubba)
    0.1 Black Throat Monitor (Tanin)
    1.1 Emerald Tree Boas (Buddy & Ezzy)
    0.1 Lavender Albino Reticulated Python (Leelu)
    1.0 Granite Burmese Python (Reaper)
    --
    Too Many. Ball Pythons
    Too Many. Jungle Carpet Pythons

Default Re: Winter slowdown?

My female beardie if fully awake with no.signs of slowing down she doesn't even care

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2