Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hi there

Default hi there

Hello everyone I just got my Tegu about a week ago he/'she is a Columbian black and white. The little critter is approximately 9 inches long right now from nose to tail tip. I'm calling it Giaus for now we'll see if the name sticks later when hes old enough to sex. I'm looking for people who have experience taming Columbian black and whites and who can shed a little more light on their care since most guides are for Argentine's. Gaius is currently in a 40 gallon breeder using cypress bedding and I'm feeding him in the 10 gallon he came with using cage carpet for grip. He's eating ground turkey with minced beef liver, ground turkey with cod liver oil, crickets, pinkies(only one a week), and either boiled or scrambled egg depending on what I feel like making although he seems to like boiled best. I am also supplying uvb/uva via a reptisun halogen 5.0 buld although i am considering upgrading to the 10.0 based on suggestions from you kind folks as well as a 150 watt basking bulb that keeps his hot around 110*F. I think that pretty much covers i,t if anyone has any suggestions on diet or taming tricks please let me know I am very open to suggestions.

Default Re: hi there

Sound like he's eating great! I have a Colombian and so far he's only been excited about turkey so I need to try to get him switched up.. I took the suggestion of others and give my tegu a soak in the bathroom and offer food,after he eats he just roams the room, that has allowed him to bond with me. I got mine in may and now after he eats he runs right over and starts crawling on me.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
    Bearded Dragon (2001) Valcore
    Box Turtle (found 2006) Panzer
    Albino Cornsnake (2011) Dante
    White's Tree Frog (2012) Cake
    Tiger Legged Monkey Frog (2012) Unnamed
    Columbian Tegu (2012) Achilles
    Ball Python (2012) Poe

Basset Hounds Snickers (2000-2011 RIP), Leonidas (2009), Murphy (2010), Theodora (2011).

With these guys the biggest thing is time and patience since they can sometimes take longer to come around with handling than the others. But husbandry is pretty much the same. I didn't see any mention of calcium above so make sure you're supplementing with the meals and pinks.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

ya sorry forgot to mention his crickets and eggs get dusted with calcium and multi vitamin i give the multi vitamin once a week and the calcium twice a week at least thats the plan ive only had him a week :P

Hi ChameleonDragon. Welcome to our Tegu forum family and congrats on your new Tegu. Like mentioned above the care is the same and the taming might take a bit longer. They also don't get as big and don't hibernate. Some of them like to eat fruits and veggies and some don't.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

thought i would update you guys and share some pics of Gaius he might be a bit bigger than the estimate i gave when i first posted. im thinking he's closer to a foot it also looks like he might have spurs coming in.

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/9nuzj) this is Gaius

Awww. He looks great ( very healthy ). Thank you for posting the photo .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Default Re: hi there

He looks nice good luck with him

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

update for everyone Gaius just started shedding and every little gold spot that gets uncovered is now a white spot.... sigh my baby is growing up.

What a cutie! I love Colombians!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes