Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is prolapse a common problem with Tegus?

Default Is prolapse a common problem with Tegus?

I have seen this problem come up a lot on this forum and was wondering if that is a common problem with Tegus? Kinda like bulldogs and breathing problems or big dogs with hip problems.

I'm no expert but I did some research then one of our Tegus got prolapse. It's not common that lizards get it, it's seems to be much more common along snakes. I know people who have been keeping lizards for many, many years and never seen it.

I'm under the impression that prolapse often is a side effect of another problem. Like our Tegu for example.. he probably got if because he was suffering from bad MBD.

I've had pet reptiles for 20 years and quite a number of snakes and lizards for the past 10 years. I've never had one with a prolapse. I'm not trying to come across as "better than" or anything, I'm just giving anecdotal evidence of the numbers game. I don't think it's genetic as in the bulldog breathing issue, I think it's more that tegus are newer to the pet trade and hobbyists are still learning about what is best for them. Like isdrake said, it is a sign/symptom of another issue. Bearded dragons used to have a life expectancy of 5-8 years in captivity, but now are living 10+ years because we have learned about what they need and the products have gotten better.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

We have Tegus for over two years now and we just had one who had a prolapse. But it was my fault because I didn't know much about them. I fed our Leonidas in his enclosure and he got impacted. He was very small and the piece that he ate was kind of big. So from trying to push it out but he couldn't the preasure caused the prolapse. This is what our ver sad. It's not very comon but lately I have seen more and more members here on the forum with this problem. It's like the saying " if it doesn't rain it pours ".
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Okay thanks for the answers. I am still playing the waiting game to see who gets babies around here first but wanted to make sure I know what I am getting into too. We had to put our Bullie down at 4 years old due to a number of genetic disorders and I don't want to go through that again.

Your welcome. I recommend getting a hatchling from Bobby Hill ( Varnyard ) . He is one of the best breeders out there. This way you know where the Tegu came from ( what breeder ) and who the parents are and that they are all very well taken of.

http://www.varnyard-herps.com/
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Yeah, Varnyard was my first choice for a breeder but he can't ship to Canada. I am waiting to hear back from Tegu Terra to get a price for shipping. Tegu Terra is the only one I know of from the US that will ship to me. It is either him or a LPS.

What is the main reason that cause a prolapse?
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

it seems to be impaction (eating stuff they shouldn't)
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)