Thread: New Tegu Owner! Habitat/General Questions

Default New Tegu Owner! Habitat/General Questions

Howdy my name is Brianna and I am a student at Texas A&M! I just purchased my first Tegu ever from Johnny at Tegu Terra! I am getting an Argentine B&W Female! I am so excited and can not wait for her to arrive next week! Any advice for a new Tegu owner? I have a 55 gallon currently for her (shes about 2 months old) and was planning on using a combo of coca husk, eco earth, reptibark, and some sphagnum moss for substrate. How long will a 55 gallon last her? In the tank I have two hides, a big water dish, a tree limb, and a waterfall as well as a UVB/heat fixture on top. I have eggs, crickets, and a repashy product called meat pie along with some fruit/veggies for her to eat. I am planning on giving her a big variety of options for food so I may find some more options like turkey, fish, or mealworms. Just wondering if anyone has any advice that they wish they would have known when they got their first Tegu or any suggestions in general! I would also love name suggestions

My current collection of wonderful pets:
    0.1 Redtail Boa Constrictor (been told she may be a brazilian) "Bella"
    1.0 Albino ball python "Kyren"
    0.1 Cinnamon ball python "Envy"
    0.1 Pastel ball python "Sunshine"
    1.0 Pewter ball python "Cicero"
    0.1 Axanthic ball python "Yahirra"
    0.1 Normal ball python "Natalia"
    0.1 Normal ball python "Alice"
    1.0 Normal ball python het axanthic 66% pos het. albino "Arbok"
    0.1 Normal ball python rescue animal "Destiny"
    0.1 Normal ball python (offspring from Natalia) "Esmeralda"
    0.1 Normal ball python (offspring from Natalia) "Ayra"
    1.0 Woma Python "Boomerang"
    0.1 Indian Sand Boa "Tiger Lilly"
    0.1 Jungle Carpet Python "Sarabi"
    0.1 Albino Nelson Milksnake "Pherris"
    1.0 Leucistic Ratsnake "Mr.Googles"

Crested Geckos:
    "Ace", "Lucinda", "Aries", "Josephine", "Harley", "Quinn", and "Sandshrew"
    And one egg incubating!

Gargoyle Gecko: "Badger"

Two Axolotls: "Shenzi" and "Ed"

And a Belgian Malinois puppy named "Kovu"

I love the names you chose for your animals(:

Hi brianna7 ( neighbor. I'm from San Antonio ). Welcome to our Tegu forum family and congrats on getting your new Tegu next week. It's hard to tell how long the 55 gallon will last. Some Tegus grow faster then other. If she is going to hibernate then it will last alot longer since they don't grow when they hibernate. Here are some informations for you to check out if you like. You calso can check out my videos on youtube if you like ( the link is in my signature ). There you can find some helpful tips on how to get a Tegu out of the enclosure, taming tips and how to give them a bath and some others. Please feel free to ask us as many questions as you like. Everyone here is very helpful and very friendly. Oh, I almost forgot. I usually like to pick Greek names because they are unique and sound nice. What do you think about the name Athena ( meaning Goddess of wisdom ) or Antheia ( Goddess of love, flower ).

Tegu Caresheet:

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...Tegu-Caresheet

Where you can bulk order rodents ( I have a video on youtube where you can see how they ship their products ):

http://www.rodentpro.com/

Names from around the Wold:

http://www.20000-names.com/
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Default Re: New Tegu Owner! Habitat/General Questions

Yea I have mine I. A 55 gallon but.not telling how long Godzilla is almost 2 ft and no signs of hibernatuon so I'm getting ready to get his custom built the grow fast depending on.the type of tegu

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for all the advice! I can not wait to get her and I will post pictures on here as soon as I do