Thread: Feeding outside enclosure??

Default Feeding outside enclosure??

Hello i have a colombian tegu that is about 24" that i rescued from a petstore where he had no human contact whatsoever besides someone dumping crickets in every few days. His substrate looked 6 months old. Anyway i posted a previous thread on my habitat situation and someone commented to me that i should be feeding him out of his enclosure in order to kinda bond with him and it would help with any cage aggression. I can grab him(quickly) and he just squirms a little bit and occasionally he will open up his mouth to me. It has gotten better in the 3 months i have had him. Maybe cause i introduced him to feeder fish, pinkie mice, eggs and ground turkey, and fresh fruit. I also culture my own dubia roaches. Now i do have savannah monitors(one 2.5' and one 6") now the large guy i do take him out of his enclosure and feed him on the floor. Even with this he sometimes is a little snappy but he loves his head rubbed and will pass out right on your lap. Anyway if i tried to feed my tegu like this he would just bolt under the bead or dresser. Someone had mentioned a bathtub in the bathroom. Well i know he could leap out in a single bound. Would i just catch him and put him back in there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and god bless

Default Re: Feeding outside enclosure??

The idea is it allows for free roaming so he can be Comfortable with you on his terms. I grab Achilles quick and carry him to the bathroom,i have a small half bath on the floor with my animals with a small cabinet he can't go under. I do pick other things off the floorbecause he likes to go under stuff, but typically he is happy with roaming and smelling me instead of hiding, but that's developed by the bonding we have done. he is still pretty small I use the sink and he starts splashing and waits for me to lift him out because he can't get traction on the ceramic. After that I put him by his food and than just let him explore after that until, he goes to the bathroom, i'm out of time or he just tries burying under something, typically he crawls up and around me, I'll grab him up and put him back in his cage. I'll let others get some input in here now

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
    Bearded Dragon (2001) Valcore
    Box Turtle (found 2006) Panzer
    Albino Cornsnake (2011) Dante
    White's Tree Frog (2012) Cake
    Tiger Legged Monkey Frog (2012) Unnamed
    Columbian Tegu (2012) Achilles
    Ball Python (2012) Poe

Basset Hounds Snickers (2000-2011 RIP), Leonidas (2009), Murphy (2010), Theodora (2011).

I do have two suggestions when you are attempting to take him out - use some nice welding gloves.
    Its a lot less stressful on the reptile as they are not attempting to squirm about because you grab it too quickly.
    Another thing when you have him out because he is 24in I suggest placing a chest leash on him this way he can
    explore while at the same time you can keep him from locations that is not exactly pet friendly for his size.