Thread: Red-Tail Boa- advice?

Unhappy Red-Tail Boa- advice?

I can't seem to find any forums to discuss issues about them so I figured I'd see if anyone would answer here, so;
    I have a red tail boa, named stitches. Shes always been incredibly sweet and docile and I hold her as often as I can. Though tonight when I went to hold her she bit me, which she has never done before. I understand that a snake is a snake and a bite is something to be expected but Id like to hear opinions. Shes never been aggresive when shedding (though i dont think shes even shedding at the momment), and i feel like she thought i was a mouse because she hesitated befire striking.
    How can i resocialize with her? Id prefer not to keep getting bit.

Default Re: Red-Tail Boa- advice?

I'm just now starting with ball pythons and my only really grumpy one is my corn snake and he usually just pretends to strike until I actually grab him and calms down. however have you looked at ball python.net? I think there is a sub gene for them, but I know quite a bit of people have them on that site. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
    Bearded Dragon (2001) Valcore
    Box Turtle (found 2006) Panzer
    Albino Cornsnake (2011) Dante
    White's Tree Frog (2012) Cake
    Tiger Legged Monkey Frog (2012) Unnamed
    Columbian Tegu (2012) Achilles
    Ball Python (2012) Poe

Basset Hounds Snickers (2000-2011 RIP), Leonidas (2009), Murphy (2010), Theodora (2011).

Be sure to keep feeding her according to size. One of the biggest problems I deal with with my customers who have red tails is that they don't feed them adequately because they don't want them to 'get big fast'. Your boa should be eating a rodent the same girth as the size of the thickest part of their body if not a little bit larger. Many red tails will start to show mild signs of aggression when underfed. Baby boas start on medium mice or rat pups right from the get go. If she hesitated before biting you it was probably just a moment of misunderstanding is all. Keep doing what you're doing, snakes don't hold a grudge
    0.1 B&W Tegu (Remington Steel)
    1.0 Extreme Giant Tegu (Smallz)
    1.0 Blue Tegu (Shakespeare)

0.1 Red Tegu (Izma)
    0.0.1 Caiman Lizard (Bubba)
    0.1 Black Throat Monitor (Tanin)
    1.1 Emerald Tree Boas (Buddy & Ezzy)
    0.1 Lavender Albino Reticulated Python (Leelu)
    1.0 Granite Burmese Python (Reaper)
    --
    Too Many. Ball Pythons
    Too Many. Jungle Carpet Pythons

what were you doing with her? Had you been handling any other pets before you got her out? Did you wash your hands before touching her? When was the last time you fed? What are you feeding live or f/t? what is her enclosure specs....
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins