Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use for substrate?

Default What do you use for substrate?

Last time I used Cypress mulch mixed with topsoil.The topsoil was a deep black and made everything dirty including the tegu. I also had a ton of problems with the cypress mulch having ants.I would buy it and the ants colonys were already living in the mulch.
    I was hoping that in the last 6 years some magic substrate had been put on the market that was cheap, clean and still made the tegus happy

The Cypress mulch really does suck, its full of sticks and such but I cant find many other options out here in Rural Kansas. They sell pine bedding for horses that is kiln dried and dust free, and a non toxic paper bedding that I used before on my sons gerbils.Its pretty sweet but dont know if its suitable for a Tegu.

Default Re: What do you use for substrate?

Have you tried Coco Soft? It's good stuff.

I heard Pine is bad for reptiles because it's toxic.

I buy cypress mulch from the reptile store and use Sphagnum moss also have had any problems

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

I meant have not had any problems

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Ive been reading old posts and it looks like cypress is pretty much the most popular for the large enclosures.
    Is the Coco soft the same as Eco earth(cocofiber)? ITs great stuff but not for an 8ft enclosure, Id go broke, its like 4 dollars for a little brick that barely covers a ten gallon tank.

Lol, yeah that's the stuff. It is pricey.

go to your local plant nursery (Here in Wichita, I have Johnson's Garden Center) and ask. They have the same coco fiber as Eco Earth as a soil amendment for much cheaper than you could get at the pet store. You can also get other things (like clay balls for hydroponics systems instead of Hydro Balls) for much cheaper and at a larger volume.
    1.0 Columbian tegu
    0.0.4 Crested geckos
    1.0 Western hognose
    0.1 Leopard gecko

How is your columbian Rogue? I still want a black and white but Im wondering about the Columbians.Are they just more high strung and nervous?

I can get Cypress mulch but was just hoping there was something better that doesnt break the bank. The Cypress i bought locally isnt pure Cypress anymore and its full of insects.I once had some bugs hatch that looked like a cross between a bee and a cricket.I still dont know what kind of bugs they were but they were big and must had a couple dozen hatch in the cage all at once.

One theory that was posted here about Columbians is that because they are cheaper they are more common and could have produced a larger rate of people stating they are more skittish. I haven't had anything to compare with so I couldn't tell if mine is any more or less skittish than an Argentine, but I haven't really had problems, he just hides a lot.

Where are you getting your Cyprus mulch? I get mine at Lowes for a couple bucks and thankfully haven't had bug issues but I am getting concerned about that possibility. There are some that freeze or cook the mulch first, of course in large quantities that's quite an undertaking..

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
    Bearded Dragon (2001) Valcore
    Box Turtle (found 2006) Panzer
    Albino Cornsnake (2011) Dante
    White's Tree Frog (2012) Cake
    Tiger Legged Monkey Frog (2012) Unnamed
    Columbian Tegu (2012) Achilles
    Ball Python (2012) Poe

Basset Hounds Snickers (2000-2011 RIP), Leonidas (2009), Murphy (2010), Theodora (2011).

We use soil/sand mixture. Holds humidity and burrows well and is very cheap.