Thread: Going outside- age?

Angry Going outside- age?

Is there an age where you should start to bring your Tegu outside? I have an Argentine B&W, and when I took him outside with a leash on today; he went insane. He ran right under a rock and tried to bite me. If it hadn't been for the leash there is no doubt in my mind that I would've lost him for good.. Though I've read that many people have had this problem. Through all the forums I've read I've noticed that they're usually older when they take them outside though. Mine is only 16 inches right now (I bought him from Craigslist so I don't know how old he is.), should I wait until he's older to ever try bringing him outside again?

I started taking MacGyver outside when he was about that size. He freaked out the first time also, so I ended up just sitting in the doorway with him and letting him get used to the outside sounds for a while. I think the key is much more just taking it slowly than waiting for the correct size. Walk him/her around the house with the leash a little first and get him used to the leash. Then hangout right by the door and get him used to that... then move a little farther away.
    MacGyver's YouTube channel @ http://www.youtube.com/user/todeyius

Default Re: Going outside- age?

Quote Originally Posted by todeyius View Post
    I started taking MacGyver outside when he was about that size. He freaked out the first time also, so I ended up just sitting in the doorway with him and letting him get used to the outside sounds for a while. I think the key is much more just taking it slowly than waiting for the correct size. Walk him/her around the house with the leash a little first and get him used to the leash. Then hangout right by the door and get him used to that... then move a little farther away.
    How is Mac doing hows the growth and everything we.need more videos and we got.to.meet up

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

They go from the nest to outside, so age doesn't matter. Just like any new environment it can take some getting use to so start off with short sessions. For me,.. I start when they're still little since I'd much rather have a young tegu freak and or try to take me out instead of one larger or an adult.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

My only concern about letting him chill by the door is that we spray a lot of bugspray outside our house.. I'll try to figure something out though. He HATES the leash being put on him. Working progress.
    By the way, MacGyver is adorable. (:

Default Re: Going outside- age?

Yeah my Achilles hates leash but is usually calm once we are outside for a short time. I've been taking him outside since he was tiny. Now its to cold :-(

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
    Bearded Dragon (2001) Valcore
    Box Turtle (found 2006) Panzer
    Albino Cornsnake (2011) Dante
    White's Tree Frog (2012) Cake
    Tiger Legged Monkey Frog (2012) Unnamed
    Columbian Tegu (2012) Achilles
    Ball Python (2012) Poe

Basset Hounds Snickers (2000-2011 RIP), Leonidas (2009), Murphy (2010), Theodora (2011).