Thread: Training?

Question Training?

I see a lot of people who train their Tegu's to climb onto the person from their cage instead of having their owner pick them up. I really want to know how to do that. He doesn't mind being picked up but I want him to learn to climb into my hand. I've sat with my hand in Mango's (My Tegu) cage, but he either doesn't understand to climb on or just doesn't care and would rather nap. Does anyone have tips on how to do this?

Honestly. You don't train it. My red Tegu is literally OBSESSED with me. After 5 days whenever I come in the room he tries to climb out. I open and he jumps on my hand. I have a hard time cleaning his cage and water because he keeps jumping on me. Same with feeding. It's more of a choice than a trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripkabird98 View Post
    Honestly. You don't train it. My red Tegu is literally OBSESSED with me. After 5 days whenever I come in the room he tries to climb out. I open and he jumps on my hand. I have a hard time cleaning his cage and water because he keeps jumping on me. Same with feeding. It's more of a choice than a trick.
    Damn. I thought he liked me. Working progress I suppose, eh.
    (:

Haha. Yeah. He likes to cuddle and watch TV too. He is starting to come when I call his name too. Or pat the ground. It's just something you have to work on. You also must put into consideration that I am a 14 who is homeschooled, and home all day. I have had all of the time in world to work with him. For the first 3 days he was here, I sat in front of his cage reading for like 8 hours a day. By the end of the first week he loved being with me. For most people, that kind of time for taming simply isn't possible.

In 100% pure honesty I finally got him to do it. I let him chill all day and then he gets bored and he'll scratch up at the glass and then climb up my arm c':I'm 14 too, and got him on a 3 week break and held him every day (I'm lifeless). I still hold him everyday. I can see the difference in between how he interacts with me vs. my mom who barley holds him. Mango cuddles with me and sleeps on me for hours too. I'll admit that he doesn't know his name though, and I usually just call him "My little boy".

Hi MaddyTheMagnificent. Welcome to our Tegu forum family. It does help if someone has alot of time to spend with the Tegu. Here is how I trained all six of our Tegus to climb on my hand/arm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UscbESzNseg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yVQEI9y8Iw
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Not true you can train your tegu if you are persistent with them it took me about a month in a half to get my tegu to come to his name its all about the repetition if not they will never learn it also takes lots of patients i can train them for you but its going to cost $100 a week for nothing but straight training