Thread: Tips on what to use as a sealant for melamine wood

Default Tips on what to use as a sealant for melamine wood

Hi all, almost finished building my tegu enclosure. It's made of melamine wood, and I have heard of people running into problems with the humidity. Specifically problems with water getting in the edges and cracks of the melamine and wearing it down. I was wondering if anyone has an tips and/or experience for what to use to seal up the edges and cracks, and how many coats I would need to use. Thank you very much. I'm very excited to get my enclosure finished. It's an all white 6 feet long-3 feet wide-3 feet tall enclosure with sliding tempered glass doors. Once I am all done I will take some pics for everyone.

You can use some silicone ( also used to seal fish tanks ). I recommend using some gloves because if it gets on your hands it gets very sticky and it's very hard to get it off ( I learned it the hard way lol ). I also would make sure the windows are open until it dries out because the fumes are very strong. Do you have any vents in your enclosure ? I recommend using one in the link below ( if you want to ). This way you can control the tems and humidity.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Painted-Da...-x-10/16224528
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

you should also look into a sealer called drylock its a lil more expensive but it works really well

i second the drylok 100%. i used it to seal my 8x3x3 with some silicone in the cracks and crevices. completely moisture resistant even with the high humidity. one gallon at lowes, like 30 bucks and i used half of it. default tone is white but i do believe you can have color added if it floats your boat. it dries like rough cement but when you never have to clip nails again you will love the texture