Thread: My new book "A Cobra Hijacked my Camera Bag! - Snakes and Stories from Taiwan"

Default My new book "A Cobra Hijacked my Camera Bag! - Snakes and Stories from Taiwan"

Hi all,

my name is Hans Breuer, I'm an amateur herper and nature photographer currently based in Kuching, Sarawak, Borneo, where I relocated after twenty-two years of life in Taiwan.

After many years of working with reptiles and amphibians in Taiwan, in spring 2010 the opportunity arose to write a 6000-word cover story about the island’s herpetofauna for the inaugural print issue of “Herp Nation”. Reader resonance was very positive, and many stated their interest in an entire book about my adventures searching for and photographing snakes in the wilds of this beautiful and ecologically rich island. I complied, and now the book is finally out. Here are more details for your kind perusal:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A Cobra Hijacked My Camera Bag! - Snakes And Stories From Taiwan"

is now available online. US readers, please order here. For non-US readers, the book is now also available through BookDepository where anyone in a wide range of
    countries can order the book for just a little more than the US price and get free shipping -see here.

Further purchase options:
    Barnes & Noble
    Amazon UK
    TheNile.com.au

Here's the table of contents:

Prologue – Why did it have to be snakes...and why in Taiwan?
    Herping in Taiwan – An Overview
    Cobras – Rice Ladle With Attitude
    Ratsnakes - The Fast and the Furious
    Vipers – Clint Eastwoods of Snakedom
    Krait – Satans Rubber Toy
    Rear-Fanged – Daggers in the Back
    Miscellaneous - The Weird and the Wonderful
    Pangolin – The Beast That Time Forgot

And here's the back cover blurb:

The herp is on! Hans Breuer searches for a new pet ratsnake in Taipei restaurants, loses a coral snake in his living room, confronts a cobra in complete darkness, and assumes unorthodox yogic postures to photograph kraits, habus, and bamboo snakes. Between the tree ferns of Taiwan's lush, rugged mountains, this brilliant amateur naturalist draws us along to experience a fantastic variety of snakes, along with turtles, civets, pangolins, and other representatives of the island's immense biodiversity.

During his constant search for reptiles and amphibians, Hans introduces the best of Taiwan with quirky humor, while educating the reader in remarkable detail. The author’s twenty-two years in Taiwan, and fluency in Mandarin Chinese, have given him a broad experience with all facets of Taiwan life, complementing his herpetological observations. We learn about food and drinking customs, dealing with curious police officers, and the aboriginal relationship to Taiwan’s rich animal life.

With this book in hand, you don't need a plane ticket to enjoy the thrill of herping Taiwan, but after reading Hans' adventures, you might just book your next vacation there!

For those of you who will actually buy a copy: I hope you'll have as much fun reading it as I had writing it.

For those of you who won't: please tell all those of your herping buddies who might - any publicity is good publicity

And lastly: if you have connections to any venue or body that might be able to promote and maybe even sell the book (online forums, websites, herp shows, pet shops etc...), please let me know!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers, and thanks for reading!

Hans

Hallo Hans. Danke fuer die Informationen. Viel Glueck mit alles .

To all the members. I know Hans is a new member here on our forum. Usually when someone is a new member I don't let them sell anything on here. Mostly because it is or could be Spam. But Hans was very nice and contacted me firtst and gave me some inforamions about him and his book. This why I gave him the permission to post his Ad on here.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl