Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hi there, newbie here

Good luck with your toe! lol. Here is another forum of people talking about tegu diet. I would say that you can feed them rice. There have been reports of some benefits to it but because it is mostly just starchy carbs I would maybe only feed it to them in moderation and use brown rice because it breaks down into sugar more slowly. My tegu didn't like to eat when I first got him. I offered him food everyday and he would only eat every few days or so until he was older. Too bad you got bitten. At least he is trying to be curious and check you out though.

I'm very sorry for taking so long to reply to your questions. Yes, you can use the shirt trick with your Tegu, too. I would recommend using this shirt trick when he just wakes up and is still cold. Or you can do it after he ate and pooped ( if he has to poop ). Those two times he will be the calmest. I wouldn't do it after he basked for a while and didn't eat yet, because he might bite you. Please make sure that you always wash your hands after you touched some food so he will not bite you. If you see him flick his tounge alot and maybe starts to huff and puff I would move your hands away or your feet .

When you take him out of the enclosure you can grab him gently and just firm enough so he can't get out of your hands. You woudn't want him to get out of your hands and fall on the floor. It helps to suport his legs. They don't like to have their feet hanging in the air. This is when they get very squirmy.

I wouldn't feed any live rodents either. If you have a meat grinder you can buy some chicken wings or thighs and put them through the meat grinder. This way he will get the natural calcuim from the bones. If your the meat grinder is strong enough you can use other bones, too. If you want to you can take the shells from the eggs and grind them up very fine. He will get the calcium from that also. The reason why I would grind them up is because the edges from the sheels are very sharp. I don't know if I would feed him the rice. But you can give him some vegetables and fruits. I wouldn't give him any fruits that are high in acid like pineapple or oranges.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

owh ic .. its ok,
    is it ok with dogfood ? i think there're good and complete nutrition in there

i stilll trauma with my toe, if he approach my feet ..

Skip the dog food, unless it's a high quality food with few preservatives or fillers and things our dogs don't even need let alone a tegu. Even then only offer it every once in a while as a treat.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

I would stay away from the dog food, too. Especially caned dog food. Our Leonidas ( black and white Tegu ) is getting into the dry dog food sometimes when he free roams around in the house ( when we forget to put the food up ).
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

ahh yeah .. nice, today my feet got biten when i prepare his food ... he walk slowly approach to me who was standing... and then .. bingo, my feet !,

whats wrong with me tegu? am i like a food?

I'm sorry to hear that you got bitten. Did you had any shoes on ? If not I recommend wearing some shoes around him until he calms down. He might like the smell of your feet . I think that he was hungry and goes after everything that moves.

Our videos :

Default Re: hi there, newbie here

Yea be careful when Godzilla was hungry one day I was cleaning his tank and then boom he strikes I was like wat the hell and he looked like feed me after that he ate 6 small mice

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

so ... hungry tegu = danger ! .. just dont make your tegu hungry , at least he will try to snap anything move
    no matter what

btw is it ok to feed a juvenile tegu about 70cm-ish long, every day ? with every 2 days i feed him small mice

Default Re: hi there, newbie here

I'm not sure about the juvenile tegu I would say feed til full every two days

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2