Thread: Just found this site!

Default Just found this site!

Hi guys! My name is Nichole and I live in Mobile Alabama. I'm best with socializing neglected and abused iguana (I feel so bad for them) but I love large lizards and decided to branch out and try my hand at Tegu. By FAR much easier to tame than iguana! I didn't know they could be so easy! We named him Beetlejuice and a few months after purchasing my new "Argentine" tegu it was confirmed by a vet that he was actually Columbian :( In my defense I was told by the dealer that he was very young and would gain more white and distinct pattern as he aged. Although I was dissapointed that he would not grow as big or live as long I was pleased that every article I had read previously warning of Columbian tegu was, in my opinion, proven wrong. He is awesome, has never bitten anyone, never acts skittish, and has turned into my napping buddy. My only concern is the very tip of his tail. About 1/8 of an inch is almost completly right angled I keep thinking that it will eventually fall or shed off but it hasn't yet. It's been there for as long as I have had him (Almost 8 months now). The vet didn't notice but its pretty hard to spot. The tank is kept very humid at 80%. He gets misted and bathed regularly. But he refuses to soak. Vitamins are good. I've done a lot of diet research. Has a new UVB flourescent bulb. Do I just let the teeny thing hang on there or should I go ahead and pinch it off? I don't think he can feel it. Or at least it never bothers him when i squeeze it (granted reptiles respond differently to pain than most other critters). Thoughts?

Oh and also it's not the "kinked tail" issue that I've read about. It's literally just the very tip.

Hi Nichole. Welcome to our Tegu forum family. Since it's not bothering him I would just leave it alone. I'm glad to hear that your Columbian Tegu is so sweet. I think it's all up the the owner on how a animal turns out to be. I'm also so glad that you are willing to take in abused iguanas. You are such a Angel. I don't want to be rude, but I wouldn't have the humidity this high. I would keep it at 70%. It it's to high he could get a upper respiratory infection. Do you have any photos you can post of Beetlejuice on here ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll lower the humidity a smidge and try to ignore his tail. My profile pic is Beetlejuice. He looks like he's smiling! lol. Great pet.

Your welcome. He is very cute . Tegus are great pets. Definitely one of our favorite pets.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl