Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tegu shaking.

Default Tegu shaking.

My Tegu is about 5 and a half months old, I pulled him/her (Didn't want to get it sexed, because I didn't want to stress it out), our of his water bowl about 10 minutes ago, and he felt really limp, and once I put him in my hand, he started shaking really badly. It wasn't like, shivers, it felt like a seizure. He gets all of his vitamins. I use "Repashy superfoods calcium plus" It was what I was told to use to put on his food. Does anyone know what the problem could be? He seems okay, now.

Default Re: Tegu shaking.

U scared him and he probably cold thats all

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Well, if you think so. I've never scared him before. I think it was just the water. It was really cold. He wasn't in there long, though. But right after I gave him a warm bath and he seems perfectly fine, now.

Is he under UVB? How long ago did you get him and what are his temps/humidity?
    “It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.” -André Gide

Argentine Red Tegu - Flux
    Bearded Dragon - George
    Leopard Gecko - Venus
    Corn Snake - Lucy

Flux's Official Thread

mine did that too at about the same age..he jumped out of my hands and landed on tile....scared me so bad =( i almost took him to the vet i didnt because they would not have done anything...but nothing was actually wrong i think he was just scared hes happy now thought =) best of luck

A couple of comments meant to be helpful:

1. Be careful going from cold to warm too quickly so you don't shock the system.

2. Calcium is good but you also need a quality UVB light in a proper position to synthesize Vit D to metabolize the calcium.

3. Make sure basking temps are 110-115.

4. Consider moving the water dish to the warmer side.

5. Have a good herp vet's number on hand just in case you have an emergency or need an exam.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Morning Matt! I responded to your mother on the Facebook Page but figured I'd pop over here to fill you in on some details too. Most likely you probably just scared him, if there's a lot of tail rattles and extremely dilated pupils then it could be just an adrenaline shock. My female has done it a couple of times free roaming when I walk into a room and she doesn't recognize me and takes off.

That being said I'd still love you to bring him in so I can peek at him for any Calcium deficiencies and do a general lookover. Laura is right, don't warm him up too quick. [[And as a side note, reptiles don't shiver due to the cold ]] If he's soft, swollen or seems to have any issues with him I'll point you in the direction of the local Reptile Vet. I hope to hear from you soon.
    0.1 B&W Tegu (Remington Steel)
    1.0 Extreme Giant Tegu (Smallz)
    1.0 Blue Tegu (Shakespeare)

0.1 Red Tegu (Izma)
    0.0.1 Caiman Lizard (Bubba)
    0.1 Black Throat Monitor (Tanin)
    1.1 Emerald Tree Boas (Buddy & Ezzy)
    0.1 Lavender Albino Reticulated Python (Leelu)
    1.0 Granite Burmese Python (Reaper)
    --
    Too Many. Ball Pythons
    Too Many. Jungle Carpet Pythons

Laurarfl and lilwyhunter put it very well . How is he doing now ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Sorry I never responded to this, thanks for all the advice everyone. He's doing great now, better than ever after getting him into that 75 gallon tank. He's starting to grow really fast, and is definitely eating a lot more now to. No problems since that one, he's doing awesome.

I'm very relieved to hear that he is doing well. Thank you for the update.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl