Thread: Worth it?

Default Worth it?

Hello everyone!

I'm new here as far as posting goes, though otherwise I have been a lurker for a long time! I've finally posted as I'm looking for some input on something, so prepare yourself for some heavy rambling. :p
    I've had this empty cage (look below for pictures!) for a while now and I am trying to figure out how to convert it into something livable for an argentine b/w youngster... or if it's even worth doing so. The dimensions on it are 4x2x2 and it was originally crafted for a baby BCI I had many years ago. The person who made it for me really didn't listen when I asked about sealing the wood, so it was unfortunately left exposed throughout its use since I was younger at the time and had no means of getting it done myself. Nothing has warped despite this and it's still incredibly sturdy, though there are some obvious stains and water damage here and there. Obviously, this thing needs some fixing up and I'd love some advice on making it a suitable home for a baby tegu.

My current to-do list for it is here:

1) Cleaning it up. Pretty straight forward. I want to take out the background and remove the cheap vinyl flooring.

2) Widening the hole for a much larger basking lamp and adding screen mesh for it to sit on. The edges of the lamp used to sit directly on the wood and if you look you can see the plywood is a bit darker in these areas due to heat exposure. I was never very happy with this part of the design, but again, the person who made the cage for me didn't really care for my input. How much bigger do you think I should make this? I'd like something that I can place a 10" lamp onto... so I was thinking of making it a bit wider than that.

3) Coat it with Drylok and seal the corners. I'm not sure how well this will work considering the bit of damage it already has, even though it's really nothing too bad. If this was a long-term enclosure, I would probably be more concerned. However, considering the growth rate of tegus, I'm not terribly worried. I just need something that will work for a few months.

4) Mount a fluorescent light fixture for a UV bulb. This one is a bit annoying for me. I've looked at my local hardware store and the only fixtures they stock that would work with a T8 bulb are 4' long and up. I might be able to get a 3' one, but I'm not sure... I was looking for 2', but all they seem to have for that are fixtures that take T5 bulbs.

5) Make a larger lip at the front of the cage to hold more substrate. I'm not too sure how tall to make it, though. I figured something like 8"-12"? Should I make it deeper or is that fine?

6) Add a clip that attaches from the top of the cage to the door to keep it from falling once open. While this has never been an issue, I'd feel a lot better knowing the door isn't suddenly going to swing shut because somebody bumped it and possibly harm my pet... if not worse. :c

AND... I believe that is all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure I left something out, but those are the few things that seemed most important when it came to revamping the cage. Oh gosh, I'm so sorry I kind of just went off and rambled. I didn't mean to write so much, I just wanted to make sure everything was clear and understandable! D: Basically, what I want to know is if this seems like it would be more cost effective and better for the tegu or if I should just save up and buy a large glass tank at the pet shop or take my chances on craigslist(living in a rural area+craigslist=disappointment). Though, I've heard the glass terrariums can have some issues with keeping up humidity/the glass getting too hot, so I'm not sure what to think! Hence, why I've come to get advice. c:

Also, if keeping this cage is the best route, what other improvements do you think I could I make to it? I've never really constructed anything on my own before, so I just want to be sure I'm doing this correctly before diving into anything.

(sorry for the tininess and blurriness of the pictures, I had to take them with my phone)

Thank you for reading!
    Just a humble lurker and lover of tegus

hah it makes it so much easier when someone has lots of questions at once instead of keep posting them individual. ok so looks like a half decent tank that needs some remodeling.
    1) Yes clean it up when doing a project like this you will want to use a medium grit sandpaper and make sure to get all the spots that have damage take our all the flooring before sanding
    2) If you want you can make a bigger hole for the basking lamp but be sure your animal cannot get out they are notorious for it. Also you said that you want to make it bigger but it is only temporary. I would say that the average tegu can get atleast 6 months to maybe a year an in 4x2x2 then it will be time to just build a new one that is adequate for a full grown I wouldn’t extend this one at all that wounds like a pain it would be easier to start from scratch when that times comes and hey maybe put another baby in that one haha
    3) I would recommend after sanding it to use a caulk to seal the corners then using a water based polyurethane sealant (comes in spray or paint form, spray is easier) it is safe for animals but ensure probably 48 hours to dry and read the labels on the paint.
    4) Good idea, keep looking around I am sure that there are some out there.
    5) I don’t use that much substrate, for a young one like your looking to get they only need about 6 inches, they don’t need to burry deep they just like to feel safe when hidden.
    6) Always add clips they learn how the tank opens and they will escape they are very smart
    Any other questions and I will be happy to answer them, im getting pretty good at building tanks and cages.

Thanks you so much for all the advice! After looking around for a bit I decided fixing up the cage would most likely be the best choice. Assuming I don't find something better on craigslist, but I doubt that with the area I live in.

Something else I was wonder was whether or not I should keep that shelf in there on the cool end of the enclosure...? I'm mostly worried about the tegu climbing up and scratching at the screen vent that's placed above it. Though it could just be easier to block off that vent with a piece of wood or something maybe? Would a single opening in the enclosure allow for enough ventilation?
    Just a humble lurker and lover of tegus

i would keep the shelf on the cool end, it will also keep more heat in the tank and give a cool side to lay on and id say one vent an something that big would be enough