Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picky Teggy

Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins

So cute . I don't want to be rude. But I would take the infrared light out. How do you keep the humidity up since he is on news paper ? If you don't mind me asking. Why aren't you using mulch ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

at that time he had just dropped half his tail... we had a horrible shed and his tail got bad with splits tried everything cod liver oil, vitamin e and slathering it daily soaking if you can think of it we tried it... trying to get it to shed and it wouldn't one day I was placing his harness on him and he just dropped his tail. He wasn't struggling or anything i put his harness on and he walked away to explore and i noticed blood on my hand and was like WTF?! of course i went to inspect him immediately not having a clue what happened and he had 1/2 a tail the other half was wiggling on the bed... i wasn't even touching his tail as I do not hold him by it and we weren't struggling it was laying on the bed and he just dropped it... i can only assume the issues he was having made him drop it as there were no other factors and no one i knew had ever heard of it happening like that... made me sad though cause it had started to shed ... anyway ... I removed his bedding and put him on news paper with shredded paper on top to keep it a bit cleaner in there while his tail was icky (he has grown about 2 inches back now and this happened in october ) now he is on aspen Humidity was kept up from his humidifier as well as 3 water dishes placed in the enclosure 2 smallish and a small cat litter pan... As far as the red light it was a heat bulb used for chicks suspended from the ceiling about 1 ft above the enclosure just to give it added heat on the warm end. Now he has an exoterra solar glo and his heat is PERFECT! i am so glad i bought that bulb. 1 light and i am done! now if i can just get his outside enclosure done so he can get natural UVB! I need to take new pics of him as I haven't in a few months he is so freaking amazing i love that lizard.
    Gnat

I so would of freaked out if one of our Lizards would drop their tail. I'm sorry to hear that he lost it. But I'm very happy to hear that it's growing back so well. I can't wait to see the photos.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

Default Re: Picky Teggy

I get scared with Godzilla because he has a bad tail shed but its comi mg off little by little

from Samsung Galaxy S3

I'm glad to hear that it's coming off at all.

Our videos :

Default Re: Picky Teggy

Yea me too just the tail head and back are the hardest but getting there

from Samsung Galaxy S3

what i ended up doing with weasley is buying vitamin e capsules and i poke a hole in them then message the oil into his skin we have had no issues shedding since. I let him soak for a bit then vitamin e his problem areas and within a few days his shed is coming off. Hope that helps
    Gnat

Thank you for the tip. I have to try this one day.

Our videos :

no prob since he dropped his tail I have been attempting to make sure he doesn't lose anymore parts! also you can get unscented vaseline w/ aloe and vitamin e and put it on there as well... i suggest gloves though cause it is super hard to wash off your hands! if your gu will allow you to slather them in it ... i prefer the oil though it is less messy and seems a bit more natural... also i have soaked him in warm water w/ mineral oil added to the bath, his tail was horrible before he dropped it it was splitting and just would NOT shed then there was some dry gangrene and that part came off like 2 inches which i didn't like to see but it was ok we got antibiotics and began treating and then a week later he dropped 1/2 his tail for no apparent reason... what sucks is it had begun to shed! I spent A LOT of time on his tail and those things got it to shed when it was horrible... if he hadn't dropped it I think he would have shed fine... but i guess he knows what is best and now I have the rest of his tail in the freezer outside (dead animal freezer where i keep the rats ) and I am figuring out a way to dry it out and turn it into a bracelet... cause I am gross and morbid
    Gnat