Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tegu Coughing up white strings

Default Tegu Coughing up white strings

Hi,

Got a question maybe you guys can help with. My tegu was basking then just started coughing and out came these tiny white strings, and when I looked closely, they were moving. Any idea what these things might be... and what should be my next step?

Thanks

Default Re: Tegu Coughing up white strings

Moving sounds like parasites or magots

from Samsung Galaxy S3

eww...sorry to hear that, would definitely go get him seen

Default Re: Tegu Coughing up white strings

Yea asap get him to vet make sure he bask a lot and give him bath

from Samsung Galaxy S3

I haven't heard about this before. I would take him to a Vet as soon as you can. It might be some parasites. How does his stool look like ? Is there any blood in it ? Is it runny and smells very sour ? How is he acting ?

http://www.anapsid.org/parasites1.html
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Sounds very much like parasitic worms, likely Ascarids or Strongyloides. Your best bet is to save what was coughed up (do NOT touch them yourself with bare hands, use gloves or something else - if these are Ascarids, they could possibly infect you) and save it in a sealable container (best preserved in formulin, but most people can't get their hands on this so rubbing alcohol is hopefully sufficient), then take both the sample and your tegu to a qualified vet. After your animal has been treated, do not place it back in its enclosure. You'll need to decontaminate it as best as possible. Throw out all bedding and easily replaceable items (bark, rocks, etc.) - again, make sure to wear gloves - then I'd spray down everything with a Virkon solution (should be available at any local farm or veterinary supply). After ten minutes soaking with Virkon, clean up normally.

Thank you for the advice. I'm scheduling an appointment as we speak but its difficult since its the holiday season. However, I did save a pic of what the string looks like. The stools of the tegu look normal and healthy, and it has a good appetite still. She's already shedding again, I don't notice the coughs. However, I will try to get her to a vet asap. Thanks again and if there's more help it would still be appreciated.

Defintely a parasite. I can see the eyes.

P.S.

Gross! Nasty! YOU PICKED THAT UP?!

Well, not with my hands obviously, I used a pair of forceps which i disinfected afterwards as well.

Even that would gross me out. You are a brave person!

Since there are no other symptoms, I think you caught it in time to fix it no problem with a vets help.