Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tegu taming... what is "tame"?

To be honest with you I don't know if it's normal or not. I never had a lizard drop a tail before. I think one of laurarfl ( Admin ) Tegu's tail came of before. She could tell you if it's normal or not. I would be happy with it coming back so fast. I think it's a sign that he is very healthy.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I am happy with it coming back fast I just want to make sure I am not pushing him or anything such as over feeding cause he will EAT until he looks as if he may pop! I know with snakes people will power feed I just wanna make sure I am doing well with my tegu I do not feed my snakes but every week to 2 weeks and I feed weasley daily if he wants to eat... so same with the ig... they get fresh diets daily...
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins

You are doing a great job. Just keep doing what you are doing. If he's not hungry he will not eat.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

thanks, it is true he ate a ton yesterday and i offered food today and he was like meh no thanks... he is a nerd... i want him to want to snuggle SO BAD! omg... lol
    Gnat

Default Re: Tegu taming... what is "tame"?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnatilie View Post
    thanks, it is true he ate a ton yesterday and i offered food today and he was like meh no thanks... he is a nerd... i want him to want to snuggle SO BAD! omg... lol
    Same here

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Patience . It will happen one of these days.

Our videos :

In my experience, a tough shed can really lead to a tegu being grouchy about being handled. Another trick I learned was to give my boys a little snack before I picked them up which seemed to calm them down a lot. I would have the bath ready and would take them immediately to it. I would place the day's food on a plate and just sit on the floor next to the tub. When they started acting like they wanted out, I would let my arm be a climbing appliance making sure I had a sweat shirt on or I would hang a rubber bath mat over the edge of the tub to give them a surface that would enable them to crawl out on. After they got large, they stayed in as long as they wanted and would get out or back in without me or the mat.
    They would usually go right for the food and after filling up, they would explore the bathroom, tip over the trash, play with the plunger, (that I bought for them), and would eventually come to me for warmth against the cold linoleum.
    They like routine and things that occur outside of that routine can upset them and result in defensive or aggressive behavior. In other words, a change in the way you handle and even the time of day can upset the apple cart.

The biggie as I said before is a hard shed which for me as a sure fire road to being grouchy.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

I actually credit his shed to making him a bit more tame. I had to handle him daily and put stuff on his tail and he had to allow it, which he did (because i believe it felt good) after he dropped the portion of his tail he has been better. The more I do with him the more he seems to chill out so that is cool. He is my buddy I allow him to free roam and whatnot after a good soak and a good meal and he still isn't keen on coming to me but I think it will come in time. He greeted me the other day when I reached into his house to change his water and to me that means a lot, I think he will come around the bigger he gets and I hope he wants to snuggle. I will say that my female boas we chilling with me the other day and I was curious as to what level of tolerant they are. I found they will allow me to touch them anywhere as well as rub and mess with their heads. Interesting to me since snakes are generally shy about their head. Weasley is coming around though I have had him almost a year and he knows who I am and that I pose no threat (at least i think he does) he just gets grouchy when he doesn't get what he wants. I would like to set up my bedroom as one giant enclosure for him but the man is not willing to watch for lizards crossing in our room... now I am convincing him to get a low bed so everyone can pile in! LOL
    Gnat

Default Re: Tegu taming... what is "tame"?

Godzilla mood depends on hunger and weather because when he was in shed he let me pet him anf take off his shed

from Samsung Galaxy S3

i am not sure what weasleys mood is determined by but today he was a handful he didn't want to do anything and attempted to escape everywhere he didn't enjoy his soak or his outside time or his free roam time nothing pleased him except a slice of orange that he ate and avoided the rest of his meal....
    Gnat