Thread: Tegu hibernation?

Default Tegu hibernation?

hellu to you all! Is my lizard about to lay down in hibernation? He has not eaten for 7-8 days, so he might begin to go into a sleep? What should I do? Thanks

Default Re: Tegu hibernation?

Im new to this but from wat I heard is to keep giving them water and keep on lights and offer food until the are burrowed for a week or more straight without coming out

from Samsung Galaxy S3

If he doesn't come out allot you can reduce the time that the light stays on. If he doesn't come out at all then I would turn off the lights and leave him alone. I do would put some fresh water in there. So if he does wake up he has something to drink. I wouldn't mist/spray the enclosure down if he doesn't come out. You don't want the water to collect on the bottom and then it gets to wet for him down there. It's OK if he doesn't get any heat for the months he will be in hibernation. He can go without food for a long time. When they are in hibernation the heart rate and the metabolism will slow way down. He also will not grow when he is in hibernation . If he still comes out and basks then I would offer him some food. But just a little bit so you don't have to waste so much food.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Do you feed your lizards in their enclosure when they are going to hibernation? I figured the most he will get used to getting their food in the cage and then associate myself with his food again So i Should not worry for him when he dont want to eat something?

I always feed them outside of the enclosure. If he doesn't want to eat I wouldn't worry about it. Trust me if he is hungry he will eat. When they hibernate they don't eat at all. So don't worry about putting anything in the enclosure. Just some fresh water. Have you watched him trying to poop ? Just in case he is impacted. This is another time that they don't eat most of the time. How does his stomach look like ? Normal or very bloated ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl