Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a solution! :confused:

Default Need help with a solution! :confused:

Hello! I have just received my exo terra solar glo 160w bulb now , but I wonder if my Tegu get the sufficient heat as it should have, I post a picture so you get to say what you think right now is light above the terrarium (a little above the grid).

20130114_164138.jpg

The only way to know if it is getting sufficient heat is to measure the basking temp on the ground. Also, if that is a fine mesh screen, you may want to replace it with a wider mesh screen so that it doesn't absorb too much of the UVB.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

The only way to determine whether he's getting enough heat is to measure the temperatures with a temp gun or thermometer probes. Also keeping the bulb on one side of the enclosure, left side or right instead of in the middle helps to maintain warm and cool side temp gradients. Now that I look at it again it doesn't look like you can do it with this enclosure if that's the only opening at the top.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

I bought terrarium cheap and thought it was a good start for a Tegu lizard but of course I will consider your advice when I build a larger terrarium for him! I believe that the degrees on the spot is about 30 *, Do you think its good with a dim fog? or should i just spray some water some days in the week? thank u

I have the same bulb and it provides plenty of heat for my guy. I will say the best thing I ever bought was my temp gun i use it for everything (snakes, frog, gu and ig) if you don't have one i highly recommend getting one you can get them off amazon for around 10 bucks or you may be able to find them at a hardware store. I have weasleys bulb set up in my bedroom in his "bed area" so he gets it unfiltered and I take him outside some days and allow him to get natural UVB and he seems great
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins

How far do you have the bulb from your lizard? Why should i get a temp gun? i have some thermometers I want the solar glo to be above the terrarie so i can use my dim fog machine

Why should you get a temp gun?
    Here's some things that are going to affect the temperature of your tegu:
    1. Humidity
    2. Colour of the substrate
    3. Heat capacitance/conductance of the substrate
    4. Size of your tegu
    5. Physiological state of your tegu
    6. Ambient temperature of the room the cage is in
    7. Ventilation rate of the enclosure
    8. R-value of the enclosure
    9. Distance of the bulb from the tegu
    10. Colour of your tegu
    11. albedo of structures in the enclosure
    12. How long the light is on
    etc.,etc.,etc.
    Now, you can try addressing all this to avoid getting a reliable means of determining your tegu's temperature, or you can show your tegu means something to you and get an inexpensive temp gun so that you aren't guessing and can actually measure its temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by tupinambis View Post
    Why should you get a temp gun?
    Here's some things that are going to affect the temperature of your tegu:
    1. Humidity
    2. Colour of the substrate
    3. Heat capacitance/conductance of the substrate
    4. Size of your tegu
    5. Physiological state of your tegu
    6. Ambient temperature of the room the cage is in
    7. Ventilation rate of the enclosure
    8. R-value of the enclosure
    9. Distance of the bulb from the tegu
    10. Colour of your tegu
    11. albedo of structures in the enclosure
    12. How long the light is on
    etc.,etc.,etc.
    Now, you can try addressing all this to avoid getting a reliable means of determining your tegu's temperature, or you can show your tegu means something to you and get an inexpensive temp gun so that you aren't guessing and can actually measure its temperature.
    all of this and then because probe thermometers are not nearly as accurate and it is a good tool to have in your arsenal. I check several areas w/in his enclosure as well as his bathwater and his body temperature, the temp of the outdoor enclosure in various areas and in my bedroom i have used my temp gun to check his "bed" to make sure his bulb isn't heating the area too much. I keep his basking bulb about 10 inches from the substrate and I have one on his bed and it is about 10 inches from the blankets i have in there for him. I measure his temps between 110 and 115 which isn't bad he can adjust how much or how little of himself he wants warmed and as you get to the edge of where they light is you can check the temps w/ the heat gun and it averages in the mid 90s ... i suggest a cool mist humidifier unless you already have the other you can get a humidifier from walmart for like 20 bucks... which was good for me
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins

Okey thanks to both of you i think im gonna put the bulb inside the area instead, and let my dim fog machine spray a bit down so i dont kill the solar glo

Should I have the lamp in a corner, because you will probably just have a sun glaring in the cage and not two? I can drill a hole in one corner! On the cool places he's around 26 degrees
    Last edited by Crippa; 01-15-2013 at 04:50 PM.