Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horned Lizard (Phrynosoma cornutum)

There's nothing wrong with Phrynosoma platyrhinos, they're all interesting lizards. They're also the most commonly found one amongst hobbyists.

I'm not disappointed. Hearing that there is a such a shortage of Texas Horned Lizards in TX, I'm rather thankful to have a Desert sp. Hopefully they are more populous in their native habitat. This guy was purchased at a reptile show here in FL. I wonder if there is a possibility he is CBB, or is more likely to be WC. All I know is that he is less than a year old.

I hope he settles in well. The other one that that was purchased passed away after refusing to eat. The previous owner had difficulty finding pinhead crickets in her location. He ate small crickets for me yesterday. I offered him waxworms today and he was not the least bit interested. But I likely stressed him a lot setting up his enclosure and such.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

If I recall correctly, most of the ones I ever had I kind of had to force feed them wax moth larvae at first. Not in the typical sense of having to force it down their throats, just open their mouths to put them in. It probably doesn't match their instinctual search image, it probably needs to move around more for them to initially recognise them as food. Hopefully you'll have good success with yours.

Well, he loves the little pinhead crickets. He ate a small waxworm, but it passed undigested. Perhaps the heat needs to be bumped up some. I have the basking spot set at 100. Seems too cool.

Also, did yours drink from a dish? I mist him and sometimes he drinks, sometimes not.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I always offered water dishes, they usually just filled them with sand. They primarily get their water through dew and misting.

I had one off these as a pet whenI was in my little vacation in Blyth ca cool little Lizards...

aaw, so cute! do you have any video when hes doing something ?