Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infrared heat lamp question.

Default Infrared heat lamp question.

Is it true these are bad for our Tegu ? The guy at the reptile specialty store in my area who sold me my Tegu told me to get one (I got a zoomed infrared 150watt) I run 24/7. Basking stays 110-115 during the day and I dim the infrared at night to make the basking area 90. I also run a reptisun 10.0 on the hot side on top of my screen for 12 hours during the day. Is this ok or should I switch to a new bulb , I dont want the infrared to hurt his eyes. Even tho I havent even seen him out of his substrate due to being scared or gettind used to his enclosure I hope (I just got the little guy yesterday). All of the conflicting info is confusing. Thanks ahead of time

P.s. humidity is around 60-75% at all times. does this all sound good ?

Is this the red bulb? I've heard it said that it hurts the eyes, but have never seen proof.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Yes the bulb is red. The guy highly recommended to for running 24/7 and it keeps my temps up like a champ. This morn I had 105 basking spot and humidity was 85% so I left the wet towel off because that seems like great humidity. It's a Zoomed product and even on the box it says the light is nearly invisible to the reptile.

Default Re: Infrared heat lamp question.

I stay away from red lig hts I use che ceramic heat emitter

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Unless I get some concrete info I don't really wanna switch the bulb out... It's doing just fine for me. I searched the forums as well and haven't found much at all.

Thats just my opinion

from Samsung Galaxy S3

"Visible light, including UVA, is essential. Many reptiles have extremely good color vision. Humans have three types of retinal cone cells for color vision, and their brains combine the information from these cells and perceive the blend as a certain color. Most reptiles, however, have a fourth cone type, which responds to UVA. These reptiles see a much more colorful rainbow than humans do, which makes providing natural lighting quite a challenge. This extra color perception is especially important to many reptile species in recognizing others of their species and even food items.
    Some nocturnal geckos lack the red-sensitive cone, but their green-sensitive cone also responds to red light; they can certainly see it. Studies have even shown that some use their cone types for color vision in light similar to dim moonlight. Thus it is possible that “moonlight blue” or “red night light” lamps, which usually are much brighter than moonlight, alter these animals’ view of the twilight world.
    Sunlight also has effects unrelated to conscious vision. A reptile’s eyes, and the parietal eye (third eye) in those species that have one, transmit information to other parts of its brain responsible for setting circadian (daily) and circannual (yearly) rhythms. There are even light-sensitive areas of the reptilian brain that respond directly to sunlight’s glow through the skull. The length of day and night, the sun’s position in the sky, and the intensity and amount of blue in sunlight all give precise information about the time of day and season of the year. In response, a reptile adjusts its activity levels, and daily and seasonal behaviors, such as its reproductive cycle and thermoregulation needs. Even nocturnal species govern their behavior by monitoring day and night from their daytime hiding places."

Credit: http://www.reptilechannel.com/reptil...ial-light.aspx

Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Wow

from Samsung Galaxy S3

So what do u guys suggest I do ? Just use a basking bulb during the day and my reptisun 10.0 as well and turn them both off at night and switch to a CHE ?