Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally, Introducing Reptar !

Default Finally, Introducing Reptar !

I finally got a peak of Reptar (finally came up with a name as well ). Had him for about 3 days. He hides all day until about 1:00pm and comes out and basks. Still super skiddish and me just lifting the light off his screen and moving things around makes him run across the tank and huff and puff (hope this ends soon) I don't want to stress him out but when I see that he came out today I put my hand flat on the substrate in front of his face and u can still tell he's freaked out by me. I guess I just have to keep trying whenever I see him out. I want to start potty and good training soon ! For now I leave him alone and just leave the food for Him in the morning and clear it later when he's done eating .any tips or anything wrong that you see let me know !image.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]3850[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gu_Punch; 02-01-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: name stays as Reptar ! lol

hes cute...columbians are usually a lil more skiddish but hell calm down if hes anything like mine

He is very cute. Montegu is right. Columbians can be a bit harder to tame down ( not always ). I'm glad that he is coming out to bask. How far away is the basking light ? It seems a bit high up. Did you measure the basking them right under neath the light on his basking spot ? I would put a small tub in there so he can soak in it. I just would put enough water in it so it comes up to his chest and he easily can climb out. I would put all the heavy things like the rocks on the bottom of the enclosure. If there is mulch underneath the heavy things he can burrow into the mulch, the heavy things can shift and maybe squish him. Please check to see if the bulb is touching the screen top. If it does I would raise it up so it doesn't ( tip on how to raise it is in the link below ). If it touches the screen it can ruin the bulb. Other then that every thing looks good .

Using the clips to raise the dome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UscbESzNseg
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I buried one of the rocks on the right thanks for your suggestion ! Also his spot he likes to bask on is on top of his cave (which looks heavy but is actually fake plastic rock) or on that rock leading up to it which is heavy rock but positioned like a ramp. Lowest basking spot is 13" highest he can get is 10" away from the bulb which seems to be his favorite spot. Im still working on getting a digital therm and hygrometer but i have a Petco therm and hygro meter just the cheap plastic one for now. its close to under th bulb about 4 or 5 inches away and it reads 100-110 during the day and I turn it all off at night and the therm reads 80 most of the time or high 70s ( i live in california). I keep humidity at 60-70 but sometimes drops to high 40s or even as high as 80 but im still mastering that

I was actually able to get to pet him under his chin today and pick him up and pu him in warm water ! He was still a little jumpy but we hung ad he was prrtty calm. A huge step ! when i put him back he went right back to his burrow hah. The water bowl is deep enough for him to soak in and what not but it is pretty heavy and may have to burry it more tomorrow when he is out. I dont want to disturb him now.Ive seen him drink out of it and dunk his head but not lately. Ive only had him 4 days anyways lol. Im attaching some pics of my set up the bulb on the heat does not touch the screen and only the very edges of the reptisun touch is that bad ? Thanks so much for the replg Txrepgirl!!!2013-02-02-142455.jpg 2013-02-02-142518.jpg 2013-02-02-142528.jpg

Your welcome. Everything sounds good . I'm glad to hear that he is calming down. I know allot of people are worried about the humidity. To be honest with you after a while I found out that the most important part is that the mulch is moist ( not soaked ) to the touch and stired up every other day. Allot of Tegus burrow into the mulch. This is where he would get most of the humidity from. I do mist down the enclosures every day. But I'm not worried about the humidity %. They don't have any shedding problems. For except when they come out of hibernation and I couldn't mist/stir up the mulch.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

It seems I can keep it at 75% to 80% way easier then 60 . I came home from work last night and the humidity was 90% even ! And that was with the wet towel pulled all the way back.

I definitely need to stir the mulch up as well I haven't done that at all yet .

I don't want to be rude but I don't recommend having the humidity to high. If it's to high or there is some water build up on the bottom of the enclosure from not stirring up the mulch every other day ( if you mist allot ) then your Tegu can get a upper respiratory infection.

http://www.anapsid.org/rti.html

Our videos :

What is considered "too high" ? I try to keep it at 60 but if left unattended for a long time and the heats on it usually drops to 50% and stays usually around 75-80% if I'm maintaining it is that too high ? And is 50 too low ?

I would keep it at 70% not higher then 75%. I have noticed with our Tegus that as long the mulch is moist and stirred up every other day they didn't had any shedding problems. Since they burrow into the mulch they will get hours of the humidity. So I wouldn't be to worried about it being to low. As long as you have some humidity in there it will be fine.

Our videos :