Thread: What to do with the tegu?

Default What to do with the tegu?

Greetings everyone. I have a just about 2 year old male argentine red, just under 3ft. I got him mid last year from a pet store that had no idea what to do with a tegu. (Someone dropped it off with them) I worked getting stuck sheds off and got him proper diet and heating. I have spent this entire time attempting to have a somewhat handleable guy. So far I still have the extremely wary, food aggressive male I did when we started, only close to twice as big.

I have tried being in the bathroom and ignoring, no matter how long he wants nothing to do with me. Tried putting a shirt in his cage - just got a dirty destroyed shirt. I have tried to let him come out to me from his cage - would rather hide in the cage. I let him lick me every time I interact.

He charges for food, but otherwise not really aggressive, just aloof. He puffs up, arches his back and slowly wags his tail every time I open his enclosure. When I do get him calm enough to pick up he rolls, squirms violently and then opens his mouth. Once we are done with that he is usually calm and content to just hang.

I wanted to see if this is likely how he is going to be or if there is anything else I should do or could do. I always read how it takes time, which is fine with me. However, seeing zero progress in 7 months is discouraging. Any thoughts would be great.

sorry to hear about ur non trusting goo. but the thing is if hes 2 years old and you have only spent 7 months with him that alot of time out of his life so far....that like all of a sudden adopting a 6 year old and expecting it will cling right to you right away...give it time and give him lots of attention and hell eventually come around

I did not say I expected him to cling immediately, I understand it takes time. I was asking because in the time he has not shown any progress that direction. I got him when he was around a year, not two - he is almost two now, so things don't get confused.

Time is understandable, but absolutely zero progress during that time has a person asking questions - like is there something else.

Do you have an enclosure that he would be able to just walk right out of without you having to pick him up? You could just block off a place around his cage then and let him come out by himself, then once he's chilling try to get near him? Or maybe you could get another heat light and put it in a new area, then turn the one in his enclosure off. He'll probably go for the heat, and if he chooses to leave the cage it would definitely be progress, right?
    It sounds like he came from a really bad previous owner. Lizards are smart and have personality- they can definitely hold grudges.. But that also means that eventually he'll understand you're his friend. Have you tried chillin with him while he soaks in a bathtub? Tegus love water. So maybe if you sit with him he'll associate you with something enjoyable?
    You don't feed him in his cage, right? No live stuff? Some people say not to have your Tegu associate you with food, but maybe if he knows that you're the one feeding him and giving him water then it might help him realize you're his buddy.
    He could even be extra grumpy from a lack humidity or calcium. But it takes awhile to even tame a younger Tegu, let alone an older stubborn one.
    Patience, young padawan. Good luck!

Hi ShannonR. Welcome to our Tegu forum family. I recommend getting your Tegu out of the enclosure when he first wakes up and is still cold. When they are cold they are slow and kind of lazy. As soon as they basked for a while they can get a bit wild when they are not tame. Especially when they are very hungry. If you are worried getting bit I would put a shirt over him and get him out. If he can't see you he can't bite you because he doesn't know where your hands are . I wouldn't use a towel because since you have mentioned that he rolls I wouldn't want his nails to get stuck in the towel and get hurt ( the shirt is smooth ). Sit down on the couch and leave the shirt over him. Put him on your lap and put your hand on him. Don't move. If he stays calm then try to pet him ( not on the head yet ). If he is OK with this leave the shirt over his head but move the shirt away from his back and pet him on his back. If he is OK with this, too, then remove the shirt. If you see him flick his tongue around allot I would be careful not to get bit. I would put him in the tub and give him the food you made him.

After you did the shirt trick for a while you can try to pet him while he is eating. Just put your hand on his back when he has some food in his mouth. This way he can't bite you. If he seems calm and almost full then I would take a frozen/thawed rodent ( they are easier to hold ) and squeeze the back legs together from the rodent and try to give it to your Tegu ( you also could use some tongs ). If he has a aggressive feeding behavior then I would try to do this yet. Here is a feeding video I made of our black throat monitor. I used the same tricks with him that I just gave you. He has been eating out of my hand for a while now. It also worked on all five of our Tegus. Good luck with everything. Please keep us posted. We are here for you if you need us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PuSuhEDOTQ
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Thank you both for the help.

His enclosure is open to the front, so he can walk out. He will, but want to gingerly walk around me. He doesn't chill much out, if he does and I want anywhere near him he takes off. No matter how slow I am.

He loves water for a short period of time, when he's done he's done. He doesn't mind me getting him out, or he'll walk up my arm. Once he's out though he will typically throw a fit of wiggling for a bit then calm.

I used to feed him in his cage, then learned better. Of course nothing live - I couldn't handle that since I breed them also lol.

He was lacking humidity and calcium when I got him, but he certainly lacks none of that now. Especially with our new found game of flipping the water dish/bath

Txrepgirl, I have not tried getting out when he is cold, I will try that. I have avoided and he seems to be a grumpy morning boy. wont do anything but I thought I would make it worse 'disturbing' him. It has certainly become more of a chore to get him out to eat. Today was one. I had a show all weekend, so he missed his day of protein. (I feed him salad every day and then salad and some protein source every other) He was more hungry than usual and by the time he was to get his food he wanted out. I let him walk for a bit, he came close to me a couple times. Picking up for the tub was just not in his day plans. So I have him his food in the bedroom. He was quite calm about it - though enjoyed dragging the bowl around and picking up mouthfuls to put down elsewhere and eat. He is currently still walking about - he usually puts himself up.

I will try the shirt thing with the early morning thing tomorrow. I just threw another of mine in his cage also, try that again. I tong feed his rodents - he is a bit too excited for fingers involved as he will miss now and then. I actually have been placing them in his salad bowl lately, that seems to get a calmer response. Once I have him up and am holding though he seems to calm much more - and that has gotten better. He does mind his head and neck rubbed. It is the getting up that is the troublesome area.

Love your black throat, nice boy. I noticed you're in TX (obviously), are you going to be attending NARBC Arlington? Would love to discuss tegus with you if you are and don't mind.

Well, worked with him just when the lights came on. Apparently he is no more relaxed cold then warmed up. I did use a shirt though and that helped. He was wiggle worm for the first few minute, but calmed down. We sat in front of the tv for a while and he actually fully relaxed and layed down. Even let go of him and he stayed.

I attached a pic of him from this morning after his meal. He loved the running water and stayed under the water for quite some time. He is in major shed - like typical of late - so I guess it felt nice!

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lol. It always makes me laugh when they go under the running water . He might be a bit moody now since he is shedding. I'm glad the shirt trick helped a bit and that he was able to relax for a while. The Expo is on the 23rd and the 24th right ? I can't promise anything. But I'll try to be there. It would be very nice to meet you and talk about the Tegus. I'm from San Antonio. Is the Arlington Expo a big one ? We have never been to this one before. Just the one in Austin and her in San Antonio.

Are you by any chance feeding any Spinach ? I don't want to be rude. I wouldn't feed him the salad every day. I would do it just every now and then. Try to give him some veggies and fruits, too. In case you are low on money you can get some chicken gizzards and hearts. They are very cheap .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

It would be nice if the shedding was part of the grumpy, of course he is always in shed! Lol.

Yes the Arlington one. It is the biggest in TX, absolutely worth it. Even if you don't want or need anything, it is great socializing and talking with other great enthusiasts. You can go to the website and get more info too. I am from the Houston area and the drive is certainly worth it.

Dont worry about being rude - dont learn anything new without asking questions. I don't feed him any spinach. I suppose I wasn't clear on salad, mine are made with fruits and veggies. He adores any fruit and butternut squash. The only 'salad' part is some collard and mustard greens, which he chooses to eat now and then. I don't mind spending money on his food, sometimes I get stuck on what to get. His most typical is white fish and turkey. I saw chicken and beef is acceptable, so I may try some of that also. Almost got some shrimp and snails, just only have so much space!

Thank you for the help I really appreciate it!

Your welcome . Any time. This is what I'm ( we are ) here for. We are still going to try to make it to the Expo. Hope all is well.

Our videos :