Thread: Columbian tegu feeding. Help!

Default Columbian tegu feeding. Help!

Hey guys, my recently aquired coulmbian tegu isnt eating all that well. He picks at his food, he definatly eats, almost daily, but hes not living up to the tegu reputation of being a pig. Ive heard that columbians arnt sapost to hibernate but mine seems to be doing just that. He stays buired almost all day, sometimes not even coming out. Im a bit worried cuz im new to tegus and this is my first, so i just wanna make sure nothings wrong with him. Please help, thank you.

How recently?

Though my Tegu ate less than 6 hours out of his Shipping box, I have found that he goes against pretty much every Tegu stigma, except for Tameness, which he decided to take to a new level, I know many Tegus don't eat for days, even over a week after first arriving.

Now, if you have had him more than 2 weeks, then I would be worried about Parasites or Infection.

my columbian only will eat about every other day and is really calm mine sleeps/hides alot of the day too hes only out and about for about 3 hrs a day..

To be honest with you I don't know what the behavior is in a Columbian Tegu. We just have Argentines. What are the basking temps and white kind of lighting do you use ? Do you have a UVA/UVB light ? How far away is it from your Tegu ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    To be honest with you I don't know what the behavior is in a Columbian Tegu. We just have Argentines. What are the basking temps and white kind of lighting do you use ? Do you have a UVA/UVB light ? How far away is it from your Tegu ?
    His basking temp is around 110, i do use Uvb, its only about 4 inches from him. I dont think it's parasites because hes alert when hes out, and seems to be in good health. The thing im worried about is the amount of food he eats. Ive read they eat daily but mine seems to like every other day, if he eats daily it's in small amounts. Ive had him for just over 3 weeks.

i try to feed mine daily but he really is only interested every other day, my basking is at 115 and he loves it...and watch out for the UV being to close...he will jump on it and escape..mine did that before

I was thinking about the UVB being a bit to close, too. Maybe he is like some other Tegus and start to eat like a pig once spring time is here. In the spring and in the summer time ours eat so much I don't know where they put it all lol. I would try some different foods and see which ones he likes the best. How do you feed it to him ? Do you give it to him right out of the fridge or warm it up ( not cook it ) like a few seconds in the microwave or if it's solid food in some warm tap water ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Sounds normal to me, you've only had it a few weeks, it's eating even if not much and it's that time of year where they can slow down and eat less anyway. As long as he's hydrated and has a plump tail base I wouldn't worry about how much or how often he's eating. Also keep in mind depending on it's size their stomach can only hold so much. When they eat one day some of it is digested and moves along to the intestines taking up space from other organs. So when you feed them the next day their not able to eat as much if they eat anything at all.

Sometimes they'll poop and then eat more but not always.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"