Thread: Columbian gold tegu help please

Default Columbian gold tegu help please

So my mom recently got a gold tegu from a pet store in very bad condition with missing toes, crust on eyes and nose and poor body mass and dry shed on him. She gave the manager at the store a hard time and got money off and gave me the tegu. Long story short i need to make sure im doing everything right and any tips would be great. First off he is a baby at about 9 inches. He is currently in a 40 gallon cage but i have a 5 by 3 by 3 foot cage coming from my other house. In it is cypress mulch 3-4 inches and plantation soil 3 inches. Humidity is 75 and ambient temp is also 75. Basking is 110 at the hottest point. He has a large water dish and cave and stick. also a uvb 10.0 bulb . He has been eating dusted crickets and mealworms and a f/t pinky. what else should i be feeding and about how much a day? I tried to post pics but my phone wont load to my laptop.I want to make sure he lives the life he deserves. A happy and healthy one.thanks

Sounds like a vet visit may be in order if he has crusty nostrils.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

sounds like you are dong it right. you should try to feed babies daily but mine will only eat about every other day

i have the name and number of a reptile vet but they are over 2 hours away so as long as he continues to improve im going to hold off. i gave him a bath the first day to get the crud and dirt off him and so far so good. he seems alert and has improved already in the first week or so. Just want to make sure i keep it that way. He is starting to show some columbian attitude.

How does the crust looks like ? Do you think you could post some photos of it ? Thank you.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

it looked like mud/dirt almost ( i don't know what he was kept on as my mom got him)which now that i think of it thats what it may have been as it has not come back since i first cleaned it. i do not have pics of when i first got him but i will try to post him now. I think all his problems were lack of feeding and heat as he has improved so much in such little time of just getting the care he should have had all along.Today was a good day for him, he ate his first egg and turkey. he also let me pet him.

Wow. This is some awesome news. I'm happy for you all. Thank you for keeping us posted and for doing such a great job with him.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl