Thread: What is "too high" or " too low" humidity ?

Default What is "too high" or " too low" humidity ?

Hello everyone !

My question today is about humidity. It seems I have a good grasp on everything but humidity. I try to keep my humidity around 60% but I've seen it drop as low as the high 40s and I even came home one time and it was at 90%! I really don't want to hurt my tegu here so I have 2 questions.

1. Even tho most of the time my humidity stays high 60s to low 80s will these random drops to low 50s and raising to 90 hurt my Tegu ? When I see these issues I try to correct them right away but sometimes they don't get noticed for a couple of hours due to work or errands.

2. What is a good range to try and stay Inbetween ?

I mist the enclosure and just started to rotate the mulch today. He still is very shy and only comes out to eat and bask. I usually miss him too due to working mornings and he likes to show his face around 1:00pm but he eats everyday and poops. Once he comes out more I can feed and bath him outside his enclosure. I just hope he's shy and not coming out because of the occasional humidity fluctuation. I've had him for 6 days now

Thanks once again friends !

It's fine as long as humidity is not constantly too high or too low. Which both can cause shedding and health issues. Spikes and drops in humidity and temps is the same as the weather changing.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

I've read that having a very moist hidey-hole is enough, is this true? I have a very hard time keeping my tegu's open-air enclosure moist, but his hide that he spends most his time in is 70-90%. Is that sufficient if he spends most of his time there, or is his dryer, basking time very bad for him? How can you tell if they have shedding problems?