Thread: Can't seem to potty train my Argentine tegu

Default Can't seem to potty train my Argentine tegu

I have a 10 month old Argentine tegu and he's developed a very bad habit of pooping on the couch. Whenever I take him out to play we typically go to the couch because it's easier to handle him there. But recently he's become very comfortable with pooping on it, which is a total pain to clean up. Every time he does it I punish him right away. But I can't tell if punishment works with tegu training, or if he's learning from it. I would hate to think he just thinks I'm being mean, and I hate punishing him because he's SO CUTE. So I guess my question is twofold: Can tegus learn to stop behaviors from punishing them when they do it, and also how do I keep my tegu from pooping outside his cage? I know they are smart enough to learn and really don't want to deal with tegu poops on my couch once he is full-grown :P
    Thanks!

It has long been established that Punishment doesn't work for ANY animal, even dogs. Positive reenforcement is what is proven to work. Reward what he does RIGHT.

Also, I hate to tell you.... He's a lizard. You can't expect him to be like a dog and "scratch when he needs to poop" or use a litterbox like a cat. If you were expecting that when you got him, reptiles aren't really your thing. Tegus do what they want- period.

A tip- almost all reptiles pass their bowels when put in water, so try putting him in a warm NOT HOT bath before you get him out, and he will probably go for you, and then you can go ahead and get him out.

"dealing with big tegu poops" sorry you don't want to mess with it. You GOT THE LIZARD. You have to gauge if it's worth it. If you knew how big he will get when you got him, then don't gripe about the things that accompany that size, like proportionate poops.

put a towel down on the couch... wash it in the washing machine... problem solved no matter what size also spray the already soiled area with vinegar... yes it will smell like poop for a few days but it will also keep him from smelling where he has already gone... and no punishment doesn't work... with my red neither does positive reinforcement...
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins

Positive doesn't always work, but punishment never does.

I am thankful, my red is like a dog: He gets my praise and he feels like he just won the lottery. He started coming to me when I had him for a week. Hah! I scratch his chin and he goes like "I DID GOOD?! I DID GOOD! YES! YES! YEEESSS!! I MUST CONTINUE TO DO THIS AGAIN!

I know I may brag about mine sometimes... but I mean come on.... who doesn't brag about their kids?

Default Re: Can't seem to potty train my Argentine tegu

Quote Originally Posted by Ripkabird98 View Post
    Positive doesn't always work, but punishment never does.

I am thankful, my red is like a dog: He gets my praise and he feels like he just won the lottery. He started coming to me when I had him for a week. Hah! I scratch his chin and he goes like "I DID GOOD?! I DID GOOD! YES! YES! YEEESSS!! I MUST CONTINUE TO DO THIS AGAIN!

I know I may brag about mine sometimes... but I mean come on.... who doesn't brag about their kids?
    Lol nice u want to train mine lol

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by chitodadon View Post
    Lol nice u want to train mine lol

from Samsung Galaxy S3
    Haha, if I was close I would! :p

Default Re: Can't seem to potty train my Argentine tegu

Puppy pads on the couch?? Solves both problems. No soiled couch, throw away......

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ercussio View Post
    I have a 10 month old Argentine tegu and he's developed a very bad habit of pooping on the couch. Whenever I take him out to play we typically go to the couch because it's easier to handle him there. But recently he's become very comfortable with pooping on it, which is a total pain to clean up. Every time he does it I punish him right away. But I can't tell if punishment works with tegu training, or if he's learning from it. I would hate to think he just thinks I'm being mean, and I hate punishing him because he's SO CUTE. So I guess my question is twofold: Can tegus learn to stop behaviors from punishing them when they do it, and also how do I keep my tegu from pooping outside his cage? I know they are smart enough to learn and really don't want to deal with tegu poops on my couch once he is full-grown :P
    Thanks!
    i think most tegus in general do not like to pass stool inside cage (correct me if i'm wrong), my tegu 'asks' to go out every mornings. i take him out,sleeps on my legs while stroking him then off he goes outside the room and poops (he doesn't want to poop in water). afterwards i soak him then i can take him on the couch or bedroom to avoid small accidents...even then sometimes accidents happen so i can do nothing but to pat him while saying shouldn't poo here,smile then clean again...