Thread: Sick bearded dragon

Default Sick bearded dragon

Quote Originally Posted by BoxTurtle52 View Post
    Thanks for clearing it up, laurarfl.

I think he is back to his old self. His colors are bright again and he has been clawing at the glass to come out and run around. Again, thank you for the advice!
    Hi i need help with my sick beared dragon.. ive had him over a year now and the past few days his been acting very strange...his stopped eatting doesnt move very much but when he does try to move he drags himself as his so weak. He hasnt been for a poo untill today when i picked him up to drop water on his mouth he had diarrhea. his not taking water at all. ive tried the warm bath and massaring the belly to see if his blocked up but nothing seems to be working.. im very concered as ive never had problems ever with him...
    he usually eats loads of crickets, meal worms,mario worms,(think thats what they are called) he doesnt eat a lot of veg thou and he also has dry food which i got from pets stores for breaded dragons. he hasnt had an appetite now for over a week but just thought he was brumate.
    i now no from reading a lot of information on the internet the uv light should be changed every 6 month even thou i was informed they didnt need changing for 1 year.. so i will be replacing that tomoz.
    i have also been using calcum powder but not as often as i should of been, i also use a multi vitamin which i mix with his veg.. ive had to turn up temp as i noticed that had dropped.. ive also noticed his colour had changed to a yellow colour when before he was so much darker.
    i have sand in the tank which has now worried me reading what people say about it.. but this is what the pet shop told us to use..

I think the first thing to do is to get a proper set-up for this guy. Get a basking area of 110 degrees and measure it accurately with a digital temperature. He needs a new UVB light ASAP and even natural sunlight if it is warm enough where you live.

As for diet, feed calcium rich greens such as collards and turnip. Make sure that crickets are covered in calcium each time you feed them. I feed my insects greens to keep them juicy and nutrient rich. All of his insects should have calcium added, every time.

If you think he may be impacted, try soaking him in lukewarm water for 20 min. If he will eat,you can coat some crickets with mineral oil. A vet visit will be needed if he doesn't perk up quickly.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl View Post
    I think the first thing to do is to get a proper set-up for this guy. Get a basking area of 110 degrees and measure it accurately with a digital temperature. He needs a new UVB light ASAP and even natural sunlight if it is warm enough where you live.

As for diet, feed calcium rich greens such as collards and turnip. Make sure that crickets are covered in calcium each time you feed them. I feed my insects greens to keep them juicy and nutrient rich. All of his insects should have calcium added, every time.

If you think he may be impacted, try soaking him in lukewarm water for 20 min. If he will eat,you can coat some crickets with mineral oil. A vet visit will be needed if he doesn't perk up quickly.

thank you for replying back to me but unfortunately his just died .... i soaked him in the bath and he started to lose a watery stool but he just wouldnt move.. he also had a sticky substance coming from his mouth.. i give him water with a syringe but everything i tried to do didnt work... im heart broken he was my baby.... just cant get my head around lossing him.. and i know im to blame for his death which makes it so much worse.... again thank you for your reply xx sabrina xxx

so sorry for your loss