Thread: Noob

Default Noob

I got my first tegu Marty about 3 weeks ago. He's about 2 feet long but idk how old he is. I've been feeding him chicken gizzards frozen mice and some fruit(all out of his cage). I've pet him almost every time I walk by his cage and recently he's been looking at my hands like they're food and he's hissed at me today. Are these signs of anything? And what can I do to make him trust me

when u say u "pet him almost everytime", does that mean when u take him out for feeding only? my tegu Jazz is also 2 feet long and i try to take her out and handle her about an hour a day. she has never hissed at me. try taking Marty out of his cage/tank/enclosure just to hold him. let him roam alittle but try not to lose him lol. my jazz is very misteveous and loves to play hide n seek lol. i've seen a shirt trick help too with ur sent. and women from this forum started it place a t-shirt that u worn to bed in his enclosure and leave it there. he will get use to your scent. i've owned my tegu for about a month and learned ALOT from this forum community so i consider myself a noob as well, but i hope i helped you a bit. take care

Default Noob

Yeah I'll definitely try the shirt. When you let jazz roam free does he go under stuff and come back out? I'm worried that Marty will go under something and won't come back out

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni D View Post
    Yeah I'll definitely try the shirt. When you let jazz roam free does he go under stuff and come back out? I'm worried that Marty will go under something and won't come back out
    she tends to want to go under the couch lol. she then will roam under the couch for a bit then try and hurry to a nearby closet, which she currently fits underneath the door. if she roams, i keep a very close eye on her. she is very sneaky lol. if she's under the couch, ill lay on the floor and just watch her. she doesnt come out all the time so sometimes i have to move the couch to get to her, but as for other things like my entertainment system, or that closet, or my sons bedroom, ill tegu proof it (like block it all off so she doesnt get into it). i just follow her around and if she is going somewhere i dont want her, ill simply pick her up and place her away from where she wanted to go lol

Quote Originally Posted by subiedude09 View Post
    she tends to want to go under the couch lol.
    Lol I had mine out the other day, let him roam around and he found his way to under the couch. Little did I know that there was a tear in the fabric underneath the couch which he crawled up in to. Took me an hour to get him out -_-
    Mushu!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikellh View Post
    Lol I had mine out the other day, let him roam around and he found his way to under the couch. Little did I know that there was a tear in the fabric underneath the couch which he crawled up in to. Took me an hour to get him out -_-
    lol. they are very sneaky haha! glad u caught him going into that hole....if u hadent, ud prob still be looking for him. Jazz has a top record of 30min of hiding before i found her. i HATE hide n seek lol