Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Build thread for Colombian B/W tegu. 8'x4'x4'

Finished painting the windows, did a horrible job masking. So tomorrow will spend some time cleaning up the edges of the glass.
    Also received some of the Eco Earth coconut husk bricks. Started soaking it then realized I could just lay it out and soak it in the cage. It would make better burrows like that. Might pick up a bag of play sand too, not sure though. Waiting until Sunday to put some substrate into the cage. That way the lower inside area will have 6 days to fully dry, also running two fans and keeping the room around 70f to help dry it out.

Oh, also I bought the compressed coconut husk substrate from www.thatpetplace.com

1-IMG_1851.JPG1-IMG_1857.JPG

Wow. This is cheap. I payed $9 at the pet store before for 3 bricks. Was the shipping expensive ? Thank you for the information. The way you do it is better ( soaking them in the bin and bucket ). This way if the bedding is to wet you can squeeze out some of the water.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I ordered over $100 worth so the shipping was free. 30 packs. I need to get some play sand and leave it out overnight to freeze. It is still in the 20's here at night.

Bought a UVB bulb because I felt bad waiting for the one I ordered online. Also picked up some very light green, almost white paint. It was one of their mistake paint mixes/returns, so $7 for a gallon. I want to use it for everything above the substrate to keep the inside bright. Oh and cleaned up the paint around the glass windows.

Did you put a sealant over the pain on the inside of the enclosure ? So the would will not rot with all the humidity in there ( or the paint starting to peel off ). Wow, this is a lot of mulch.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I caulked all the seams and used 3 coats of the wood stain/sealer and then three coats of paint on top of that for everything below 2 feet. Above that just a lot of paint and caulking. I didn't use a wood sealer, like a clear one, but I think the paint will hold up. I will need to dismantle in five years anyway, so not too worried. It will be cut up into four pieces for the move. Then I can extend it into an L shape.

Also picked up one bag of playsand 50lbs at Home Depot.

thanks for keeping us all updated avel! i appreciate it greatly! ill be buying my suplies as soon as tax returns arrive lol. i wasnt sure if i wanted an interrior frame or exterrior frame. thanks to your pics, i think im going to go with an internal frame. im also going to make a little walkway to a second level perch and thats where she will come a go when i leave the door open for her. i like the colors u chose, or were chosen for you lol. thanks again!

Yeah, I love reading other peoples build threads too.

Today just putting another coating of the lime green paint. Also wanted to say that 3" screws are a little too long for joining 2x3's or 2x4 together, I slightly angled all of mine so that the tip wouldn't poke out. There were a couple spots where I couldn't angle the screw. I used a Dremel to grind down the tips that poked out.
    Also two days ago I remembered that we had a Restore store near us.

http://www.habitat.org/restores

I totally forgot about that place. So yeah, maybe I would of had a bigger window/door. Next time maybe. I still need to clean up the paint around the windows I have.

1-IMG_1872.jpg1-IMG_1878.JPG

Did something so stupid , went to put the windows in and one track was too tight! I should of left at least a quarter of an inch for room to play with. Anyway today sanded the top of the window down a lot and rubbed a candle everywhere to smooth things out.

Now I just need to figure out how to enclose the front edges where the windows don't reach.