Thread: Hybrid Opions

Question Hybrid Opions

I'm looking into getting another Tegu for future breeding with my male Argentine B&W. I know I really want a Blue Tegu (they're adorable), but would a B&W Blue hybrid turn out well? I can't really find any pictures of how they generally turn out- Does anybody have any?
    I'd definitely be willing to get a Red or another B&W. I'd just love a Blue though.

I don't think I have seen a b/w and blue hybrid before. I have seen b/w and red. Blue and red. Blue and extreme giant. Blue,red and extreme giant.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I've seen a few online when I spent hours searching for info when I first got into Tegus. Can't find them again though.....

They look like a muted Greyish color kind of. One or two of them took from their blue parent and were REALLY blue. Another two was really white but not albino.

Just what I've seen!

Because they are the same species, they aren't technically hybrids. And that is also why there isn't a lot of breeding projects with them. It dilutes down the quality of the blue without really enhancing the quality of the B/W.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

You know, Laura, I used to think very much the same thing, however when I looked it up, it is clear the term "hybrid" in common usage has become so muddled and overused, and not even from reptile hobbyists but particularly from dog and cat breeders, that "hybrid" in layman terms can mean basically any crossing of any unsimilar types. I know, how wonderfully vague and useless. Essentially, because dog breeders have crossed german shephards with corgies, both the same species, and "successfully" applied the term "hybrid", then...well, everything is sort of a hybrid if the parents were unsimilar. I'm with you, though: personally a "hybrid" should be different species. Then, it would only be a hybrid if it were between Salvator rufescens, S. merianae, and/or Tupinambis teguixin (or any of the other true species, but beings as these aren't on the market...). However, beings as most hobbyists don't seem to understand the meaning of 'species', 'morph' or 'polymorphic', then this is a debate that is kind of pointless.

I know, but I have the old way in my mind. Hybrid dogs are just silly. I guess mixed breed was just too common. Curse you postmodernism!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

i am thinking of getting a b/w female to go w/ my red male and i will make "pink" tegus... that is the natural progression right?
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins

Lol. Laurarfl bred the b/w and red together. Maybe she has some updated photos ( or some members who bought a hatchling from her ).
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I actually had a tegu with a lot of salmon pink colouring once, and it wasn't a hybrid or mixed breed by any means. Very striking individual with a lot of colours.

With as much confusion there is between the two as is, why add to that. Their traits are so similar breeding them probably wouldn't make much difference. Very few have any blue coloring and some blue tegus just look like high white tegus anyway. Just like the blue extreme breedings, there's not much of a difference there. At least with the Red x B&W and AAs you can see the Red influence in some of them. I would be more interested in seeing what a couple of good quality AAs bred together would throw.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"