Thread: Fruitflies?

Default Fruitflies?

Hi need help! I've seen lots of little mini creep in the cage, they look like little fruit flies but they may be parasites? Thanks for any help

If nothing new has been added to the cage like substrate etc., you may very well have some fruit flies. You may also have very small house ants, sometimes called sugar ants which make there way indoors and set up house keeping in substrate. If you have a large enclosure like I had changing the 36' cubic feet of substrate can be expensive and quite an undertaking. The ants I had ignored the ant traps and bait cans I had for them and I certainly didn't want to spray poison in the cage. I watched the situation and determined that the ants weren't bothering my monitor and a live and let live condition developed. I would find the area where the ant nest was, dug it up which reduced the number of ants greatly time to time.
    Fruit flies will eventually die off after whatever they are feeding on goes away. Make sure you clean your substrate and remove any part of it that is either urine heavy or has feces on it.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

If nothing new has been added to the cage like substrate etc., you may very well have some fruit flies. You may also have very small house ants, sometimes called sugar ants which make there way indoors and set up house keeping in substrate. If you have a large enclosure like I had changing the 36' cubic feet of substrate can be expensive and quite an undertaking. The ants I had ignored the ant traps and bait cans I had for them and I certainly didn't want to spray poison in the cage. I watched the situation and determined that the ants weren't bothering my monitor and a live and let live condition developed. I would find the area where the ant nest was, dug it up which reduced the number of ants greatly time to time.
    Fruit flies will eventually die off after whatever they are feeding on goes away. Make sure you clean your substrate and remove any part of it that is either urine heavy or has feces on it.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas