Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temporary Housing question

Default Temporary Housing question

I got a baby columbian tegu as a surprise birthday gift a few days ago and it caught me off guard and the only enclosure I had available was a 15 gallon. Do yous think the tegu will be fine for another week in the 15 gallon all of the lighting requirements and heating/humidity requirements are good. I'm waiting for the hamburg reptile expo to come which is this Saturday so I can buy her her real enclosure.

I'm keeping my baby in a clear plastic container that I picked up at Walmart. I have a heat pad right in the middle and it gets to 105F there. Around the edges it drops too 75F. It is 27"x16"x13" high, the heat pad is a Zoo-Med 15watt 8"x12". I have a dusting of Eco Earth along with a bowl of water. How long is the 15 gallon? Is it like a 10 gallon but higher?1-IMG_1815.JPG

It's longer then a 10 gallon the dimensions are 24x16x12 and I have a question about your enclosure , how does your tegu get UVB in the plastic enclosure

It doesn't. Still waiting on the bulb.

you should be fine for a week or so if its a baby...

Thanks she's only about 10 inches

Hi Jason. Congrats on your new Tegu. Yes, the 15 gallon is fine for a little while. Do you have a screen top ? In the video below is a enclosure I used for our hatchlings for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UscbESzNseg

avel. Does the lid have any holes in it so your Tegu can get some air ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Yeah there are cracks here and there. I will cut a hole for the UVB light eventually. I plan to keep the tegu in there until March.

I don't want to be rude. But please be careful with cutting out the hole. Tegus are great jumpers. He might try to get out of that hole and cut him self if the edges are sharp.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Thank you and yes the 15 gallon tank does have a screen too but about half of it is covered to keep in humidity