Thread: What is the best way to get a columbian tegu to be tame?

Default What is the best way to get a columbian tegu to be tame?

Hey!
    I just bought a new baby columbian tegu. Hes about 4 months old, hes is 18 inches long (head to tail) and is VERY friendly. But he still is a little squirmy when i hold him. He doesn't bite, or hiss, or tailwhip, but every time i hold him, he starts squirming and tries to get to my shirt and just chill. What is the best way to get My baby columbian (Cohen) to stop the squirming?
    Thanks!
    -Nathan,

Quote Originally Posted by nathantheawesometegu View Post
    Hey!
    I just bought a new baby columbian tegu. Hes about 4 months old, hes is 18 inches long (head to tail) and is VERY friendly. But he still is a little squirmy when i hold him. He doesn't bite, or hiss, or tailwhip, but every time i hold him, he starts squirming and tries to get to my shirt and just chill. What is the best way to get My baby columbian (Cohen) to stop the squirming?
    Thanks!
    -Nathan,
    he is probably squirming becuase he feels unstabble when u pick him up. try other ways to pick him up as to where he will feel like he wont fall. my tegu doesnt realy like when i pick her up from just under her belly and squirms a bit. i found that comming from the front, run ur fingers/hand down under her/his chest and then belly and with two fingers, secure her back legs and then just lift. this way its like he/she is just resting on yoiur hand and wrist. kinda hard to explain lol.

i dont think the squirming is tempermental because as u stated, "she tries to get to your shirt and chill". let me know if that helps ...my tegu Jazz seems to love it and willingly approaches my hand now and climbs my arm to get out of her tank.

Quote Originally Posted by subiedude09 View Post
    he is probably squirming becuase he feels unstabble when u pick him up. try other ways to pick him up as to where he will feel like he wont fall. my tegu doesnt realy like when i pick her up from just under her belly and squirms a bit. i found that comming from the front, run ur fingers/hand down under her/his chest and then belly and with two fingers, secure her back legs and then just lift. this way its like he/she is just resting on yoiur hand and wrist. kinda hard to explain lol.

i dont think the squirming is tempermental because as u stated, "she tries to get to your shirt and chill". let me know if that helps ...my tegu Jazz seems to love it and willingly approaches my hand now and climbs my arm to get out of her tank.
    Ok thanks alot! i will try that in a hour or so....

Ok thanks alot! i will try that in a hour or so....
    no problem. let me know if it helps

Quote Originally Posted by subiedude09 View Post
    no problem. let me know if it helps
    He totaly like it! i put my hand in the front, then lide to his back legs, and kinda squeeze her stomach....THANKS again!

He totaly like it! i put my hand in the front, then lide to his back legs, and kinda squeeze her stomach....THANKS again!
    im glad it worked

Hi Nathan. I'm glad it worked.

subiedude09. Job well done .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

To go along with what subiedude has stated, keep in mind that most animals (not just tegus) really do NOT feel comfortable unless all feet are in solid contact with terra ferma. This doesn't mean they have to be on the ground, it means they are comfortable when their limbs are in strong contact with the supporting structure (whether it be you, a branch, a rock, etc.). They need to feel like they are "in control" and not like something is going to drop them.