Thread: How often?

Default How often?

HEY!
    ok so i have a baby/juvenile tegu, about 2 to 4 months old, 18 inches long, but i wanted 2 know how often u should feed him? I used to feed him every day...but now i feed him every other day...is that ok or should i feed him every day or even a bigger gap?
    THANKS!

Default Re: How often?

Keep feeding everyday until full when the get older then slow it down

from Samsung Galaxy S3

That depends on your tegu, what you feed and how much they eat. Like most things each ones different some prefer to eat everyday while others don't. Heavier meals like whole prey can take longer to digest than some processed like a ground meat meal. They might gorge themselves one day then not eat the next day or for a couple of days while it digests and if they do eat it's not much. It's a process that you have to figure out over time what works for your gu.
    One of the easiest ways to figure out when to feed and how much food to prepare is to watch their abdomen. Obviously a full abdomen is round but as they digest their food and poop a skin fold starts to develop along each side. With a full abdomen they are more likely to eat less if anything at all. As everything moves along the skin fold starts to develop and the abdomnen's not as full so they'll usually be hungry and eat more.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

Quote Originally Posted by bubblz View Post
    That depends on your tegu, what you feed and how much they eat. Like most things each ones different some prefer to eat everyday while others don't. Heavier meals like whole prey can take longer to digest than some processed like a ground meat meal. They might gorge themselves one day then not eat the next day or for a couple of days while it digests and if they do eat it's not much. It's a process that you have to figure out over time what works for your gu.
    One of the easiest ways to figure out when to feed and how much food to prepare is to watch their abdomen. Obviously a full abdomen is round but as they digest their food and poop a skin fold starts to develop along each side. With a full abdomen they are more likely to eat less if anything at all. As everything moves along the skin fold starts to develop and the abdomnen's not as full so they'll usually be hungry and eat more.
    very nice observation! i've noticed the very small fold on both sides of my gu, but only every once and a while lol. i never connected it to her being hungry/full. very nice information! thanks! this post is is a prime example of why i love this community of tegu enthusiast's....i learn so much by simply reading in on other peoples advice, observations, techniecs, and opinion's on certain topics

Quote Originally Posted by bubblz View Post

I wanted to "like" this like on facebook but i couldn't... lol
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins