Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So

Default So

will a colubian male tegu get along with any other breeds of female tegu? More pushing towards a red tegu....thanks!

That really isn't a good idea.

Columbians should only EVER be with Columbians

Argentines should only EVER be with Argentines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripkabird98 View Post
    That really isn't a good idea.

Columbians should only EVER be with Columbians

Argentines should only EVER be with Argentines.
    why? i was wondering the same thing alittle bit ago.
    youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/subiedude09

Instagram: subiedude09

B&W Argentine Tegu: Jazz

Citrus Hypo Bearded Dragon: Rango

Sandfire Bearded Dragon: Pyro

Quote Originally Posted by subiedude09 View Post
    why? i was wondering the same thing alittle bit ago.
    There are multiple reasons.

Generally, (There are exceptions) an Argentine doesn't want to get into a bad spat with another Argentine. There can be mating fights, food fights, territorry etc, but they generally aren't serious. They have no qualms about going after a Columbian. Both because they are smaller, so the Argentine isn't scared, and because they don't recognize it as "the same species", which is what they see another Argentine as. They don't want to hurt their own kind.

Also, if something does go wrong, then you are talking about the Columbian having no chance. It would be dead in instants. Even what would normally be a harmless food disagreement with another Argentine can be deadly for a Columbian.

Also, from my understanding, there are slightly different Temps and Humidity. Columbians also need more hiding areas, as well as the fact that they never hibernate, while some Argentines do, which is it's own problem if that happened.

I have never researched out Colombians, but I believe there would be enough of a size difference in the two species that it would not be a good idea. Not really sure about general housing requirements- humidity and temps - though one care sheet I just read for Colombians has temps that are a little low for an Argentine. I would do a lot of research on both species.

I am sure someone like Tupinambis will be along and will have more information =)

I'm only piping in because kaylorin "invited" me....

First, I don't want to upset you Ripkabird, but my experiences would completely disagree with pretty much everything you have said (other than don't mix them, I'm behind you 100% on that). I can't count how many "Argentine" tegus I've stitched back together, closing holes where limbs have been ripped off, or just having to put down because the wounds were too extensive. Your beloved "Argentines" absolutely have no problems tearing into each other, it isn't pretty. However, they seem to lose a lot of that aggression towards each other when they are "tamed" - however I still advise people to be very careful even when mixing the same species of tegu, you really don't know what will happen. And being a big tegu doesn't mean much either - in my one study group, I at first tried to house males together during hibernation, worked ok until they came out of hibernation. At the time, Cartman was literally twice the size of Kenny - and Kenny kicked the living hell out of poor Cartman. I immediately separated all same sex groups to avoid further issues.

I know everyone is into this hybridization craze, and leaving aside my typical lecture on destroying the unique genetics and the ramifications of such a hybrid getting back into the wild, there is another reason to keep different species separate. Disease. Yes, I'm certain most are aware you want to be careful with spreading disease around your reptile collections, but it is even more poignant in a case like this. Most Colombian and Argentine populations are quite separate, however they are still somewhat closely related. There's a possibility one could be carrying a disease that its species has a tolerance to but that the other species has never encountered and could be very susceptible to. I'm not talking spreading mites around your pets, I'm talking about what small pox did to the Americas when the Europeans brought it over (most people are unaware of the fact that before the Europeans came, the population of indigenous peoples in the Americas was in the hundreds of millions. The Aztec capital city in Mexico had a greater population before the arrival of Cortez than both London and Paris combined at the time). People take a HUGE risk when mixing species, particularly when so closely related. I don't think it's worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by tupinambis View Post

First, I don't want to upset you Ripkabird, but my experiences would completely disagree with pretty much everything you have said (other than don't mix them, I'm behind you 100% on that). I can't count how many "Argentine" tegus I've stitched back together, closing holes where limbs have been ripped off, or just having to put down because the wounds were too extensive. Your beloved "Argentines" absolutely have no problems tearing into each other, it isn't pretty. However, they seem to lose a lot of that aggression towards each other when they are "tamed" - however I still advise people to be very careful even when mixing the same species of tegu, you really don't know what will happen. And being a big tegu doesn't mean much either - in my one study group, I at first tried to house males together during hibernation, worked ok until they came out of hibernation. At the time, Cartman was literally twice the size of Kenny - and Kenny kicked the living hell out of poor Cartman. I immediately separated all same sex groups to avoid further issues.

I know everyone is into this hybridization craze, and leaving aside my typical lecture on destroying the unique genetics and the ramifications of such a hybrid getting back into the wild, there is another reason to keep different species separate. Disease. Yes, I'm certain most are aware you want to be careful with spreading disease around your reptile collections, but it is even more poignant in a case like this. Most Colombian and Argentine populations are quite separate, however they are still somewhat closely related. There's a possibility one could be carrying a disease that its species has a tolerance to but that the other species has never encountered and could be very susceptible to. I'm not talking spreading mites around your pets, I'm talking about what small pox did to the Americas when the Europeans brought it over (most people are unaware of the fact that before the Europeans came, the population of indigenous peoples in the Americas was in the hundreds of millions. The Aztec capital city in Mexico had a greater population before the arrival of Cortez than both London and Paris combined at the time). People take a HUGE risk when mixing species, particularly when so closely related. I don't think it's worth the risk.
    I just want to say I appreciate the relationship you brought up europeans vs natives and small pox... genius! and i completely agree I just got a new black and white argentine and i was holding her... "near" my red male... and he was like OH WHAT SNACK IS THAT? they don't really care about one another as stated already... in the end as much as i love my tegu he is a primal animal and runs off primal instinct... to feed and to do what they need to do... they tolerate us some even want out company... but in the end instinct will take over and my red isn't huge yet but i can tell you if i brought another tegu in he would kill him... heck my iguana male is 3xs his size and he will try to stake his claim in the house... and the ig runs...
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins

Thanks alot! if i do get 1.....i just will seperate them! hahaha!!!thanks all you other guys 2!!!!

I'm not offended in any way! You have seen A LOT more than me- I've had one Tegu. You've studied them, owned them, cared for them medically.

Honestly, your two cents is better than my two dollars

I just had my FL box turtle euthanized due to the spreading ranavirus. Treatment wouldn't have helped and there was the risk of contaminating my entire collection with this horrible virus. There are some serious germs out there.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets