Thread: Free Roaming

Default Free Roaming

Hey guys
    My Chacoan Lu Bu has been free roaming my room for most of his time he has been with me. I put him back in his cage every other night or so. I have a question regarding humidity. I have a humidifier right next to his basking spot in my room, but is maintaining humidity a big factor? I watch Macgyver on Youtube and I wonder if the owner cares about the humidity around the house. I feel like the only time the humidity should be high is during the shedding process. Thoughts?

Not meaning to sound snarly, but that's kind of like saying the only time you should offer water is when they get dehydrated. The humidity isn't solely to aid shedding, it's to help skin condition at all times. Can you tell at what point the ecdysis process initiates? When the stratum corneum begins to separate from the stratum lucidum? It isn't when it's loose and easy to pull off, the process starts when the skin looks normal. By the time we notice the shedding process...well, adding humidity then is like getting the fire extinguisher after the house has already started falling apart from the fire.

My male red free roams all the time now pretty much and I make sure to soak him daily as well as have several pans for him to soak in in the room and a humidifier but in FL our humidity stays around the normal range... like today it is raining out so the humidity is a bit higher... I just make sure that he has plenty of access to water that he can completely submerge in as well as soaking him in the tub daily for as long as he wants to soak... be it 5 minutes or 2 hours (as long as i refresh the water to keep it warm)....
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by tupinambis View Post
    Not meaning to sound snarly, but that's kind of like saying the only time you should offer water is when they get dehydrated. The humidity isn't solely to aid shedding, it's to help skin condition at all times. Can you tell at what point the ecdysis process initiates? When the stratum corneum begins to separate from the stratum lucidum? It isn't when it's loose and easy to pull off, the process starts when the skin looks normal. By the time we notice the shedding process...well, adding humidity then is like getting the fire extinguisher after the house has already started falling apart from the fire.

Yes, my main concern was regarding the importance of maintaining a high level of humidity and what it does for a tegu. I never actually knew why humidity was important to reptiles in general, and you answered my question thoroughly so thank you. I do keep his humidity high both in his enclosure and in my room. I kinda copy what Macgyver's owner does and keep the humidifer on full blast near his basking spot. I give him a bath every other day for a half hour too.

If your tegu does free roam they must get at least one bath everyday that is the main con of a free roam environment this is why many people fully disagree with that type of care I personally do not see too much wrong with it but I would be way to worried letting my tegu loose around the house I would die

I saw in one of MacGyver's videos that he gets some sort of lotion put on him?