Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The first blue baby tegu in the netherlands?

Hi TeguKid80. Welcome back. Long time no see. Hope all is well.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by TeguKid80 View Post
    I think that the European keepers provide much more complete support for their tegus than many US keepers which is what is allowing them to successfully double clutch.
    Thank you. My boyfriend and I keep our animals in a diverend way most people do. Don't know for sure if that makes the diverence. But I do it becouse I think it is. We give a diverend dieet than most reptile keepers and we keep them in enclosures who are diverend from others. But Chris keeps them also diverend from how we keep them and he has a lot of succes. From all the blue babies I have seen in europe, his are the best and most healty I have seen.
    In my oppinion the incubation is also very inportant. If you see how the eggs look of some people the first days or after 2/4 weeks. Some look terible. They nead a very stable tempeture and high humidity. If doing wrong the babies get realy weak... :(

Yeah, I think nesting also plays a key component. Eggs that are laid and nested in a proper manner probably have a much higher chance of hatching. Thanks Txrepgirl. It's been too long!

Default Re: The first blue baby tegu in the netherlands?

I could agree with that, as my sky's 1st clutch were pretty much dumped in a hole & it turned out only one egg was fertile out of more than 20 eggs, almost like she knew they were no good, with her second clutch she built a beautiful nest spent lots of time perfecting it, this time she laid 25 eggs & every one of them is fertile. Thanks for the compliment renske.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
    follow my tegus on facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/UKbluetegus
    also see them on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/chrisswizz

Yeah that makes sense to me. From what I've learned from many monitor keepers/breeders, nesting is everything.

No problem chris. My experiance is that almost all reptiles know when there is somting wrong with her eggs. I have seen it with a lot of spicies. Like waterdragons drop their eggs in the water when it is no good. Or our Dwarf caiman. Where stressed and think the eggs sufferd of it. So she droped them in the water. This year everything is right so hope she thinks its good too and lay some beautiful eggs.
    I am a little worried about the eggs of bora. I think they will be no good. She does not eat and she is dehydrated. Does not drink. I only have her for a month. Had a bad diet bevore I got her in my oppinion. If she got what I think she got as food... She does not make a nest. Dolly my other female made a beautiful nest. 2/3 weeks bevore laying.

If you've ever been on varanus.net there are some very interesting older posts about laying options with lizards. Obviously tegus and monitors are different but still applicable in my opinion. I think if proper substrate is not provided the mother will not properly lay on time and in a natural manner which can cause the eggs to go bad.

yeah but if you see the nest options I have. You don't beleve that anymore... I have so much places and materials to make a good nest for her. The other female also have proven it was good. So don't think I can make it any better for her. now. :(

How deep are they and what are they made out of?

I had her here. Split the enclosure in 2. But she did not nest. So moved her to an other enclosure to be allone. both have around 30cm of dirt/sand bottom. I have a lot of grass, hay and leaves in the enclosure. Se can also like Dolly did, rip plant apart to make her nest complete.