Thread: I think my little montegu has Pica...

Default I think my little montegu has Pica...

Ever since we got him he would rather eat his own substrate or try to chew on the big rocks in his enclosure than real food...today after we bathed together i set him outside of the tub so that i could wash my hair...i looked out to make sure he was ok and he was prancing around with a clay pellet that is used in the cat litter box... i know his substrate is not compacting him but he just always wants to eat this. Could it maybe be a deficiency of somesort that he has or does he just think he is awesome like "hey dad watch me eat this"?

Sometimes it is really just that situation of what can I fit in my mouth just watch him and make sure he doesn't eat anything bad or too much substrate make sure he is pooping regularly and its healthy

ya he is its just weird that hell pic his substrates or clay pellets than real food...or even the cat food that was next to it

In the wild some reptiles consume rocks known as gastroliths. They are supposed to help with digestion. My tegus have a fondness for carrying around huge rocks.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

lol thats funny i didnt know that...i know that the pellet would have gone down his thrat pretty easy but i dont think he would have enjoyed pooing it out