Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UVB output

Exclamation UVB output

Hi everyone. One of our member's here on the forum posted a link about the " Project UVB ". I thought it's a good one so I wanted to make a Thread of it. Thank you avel for the information.

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Researchmain.html
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

intresting peice of information there.

A good start to some citizen science, but it has some severe limitations.

thats interesting and all but how much UVB do tegus/other reptiles require?

That's the unknown factor. Personally, I will always prefer Frances' work at reptileuvuk
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Unfortunately both have their shortcomings, usually the same issues. 1) Replication - both rely on the assumption that one bulb equals all bulbs of that brand 2)Usage - we get this idea of measurement with age from some of these sites, sometimes without indication of hours burn/day 3)Air Quality - we get these measures of the bulbs without any statement of the air conditions when measured - humidity, particle density, temperature, atmospheric pressure: these can all affect the readings 4)while I have to admit they are at least giving us an idea what the measurements are being taken with, they fail to inform the public (perhaps because they don't understand themselves) that the device being used is not that accurate and really only gives a "general" measurement of various wavelengths (ie. what wavelengths are at what strength would be really useful, although perhaps they don't vary that much between brands) 5)this is one is just a stickler of mine but it is valid nonetheless: bulb condition - I don't mean if it's beat up or anything like this, but countless times I've been called over to a research facility or to my friends to measure their UVB output, it's fairly dreadful with respect to what the animal is receiving but that's not because the bulb is weak but because the bulb is coated in dust or water deposits from being sprayed frequently (I'd also put in this category consistency of environment - your going to get completely different readings from the exact same bulb if it is housed in a stark white box vs. if it is put in a terrarium set-up with a complexity of surfaces both in texture and colour).

Something I'd love to see, but haven't yet (and I have to admit that I only suspect there might be variance) is how the bulb performs over the day. Is performance the same when first turned on after five minutes the same as after the bulb has been operating after 6 hours? Do these bulbs experience cyclic fluctuations related the power grid demands? This may seem odd, but the power grid can definitely impact such things - there was a study once done where the results indicated that at certain times of the day animals were actually producing oxygen, it later turned out to be an artifact due to the cyclic nature of the power grid which altered the power supply going to the instruments taking the measurements. Seems like small potato semantics to some, but when a consumer looks at a list like these, not understanding the issues or other aspects, they see Zoo-Med 150 uW/cm^2, Arcadia 225 uW/cm^2 and think in absolute terms that the Arcadia is stronger.

I understand what you are saying. After reading Frances' response and emails through the years, he definitely has more of a grasp on the issue than others that post their readings. It may not always be evident on his website, but when you read his remarks, he does consider burn time, etc, and does run multiple bulbs.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

wow some great things to think about Tupinambis...and ya id be curious just to see how much uvb each lizard requires...

Quote Originally Posted by Montegu View Post
    thats interesting and all but how much UVB do tegus/other reptiles require?
    i was about to ask the same exact question lol
    youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/subiedude09

Instagram: subiedude09

B&W Argentine Tegu: Jazz

Citrus Hypo Bearded Dragon: Rango

Sandfire Bearded Dragon: Pyro